Amari

He looked peeved and that was clearly annoyance on his face as I sat across from his overwhelming figure. His eyes were ablaze from my hardheadedness and I mentally reminded myself that he was the boss here not me. But it was too late I had stood my ground, my mouth speaking before thinking and I would have to accept whatever consequences there were.

He lifted an eyebrow in my direction before pulling a large Manila folder out of his desk and sitting. His face was stern. Every bit of the man featured in magazines.

His intense eyes met mine in obvious challenge. If I backed down it would start a precedence. He was silently asking if I was brave enough to stand my ground.  I lifted my chin slightly in return and his eyebrow arched as if in acceptance and disbelief.

He opened the thick folder removing several papers.

"Ok then Ms. Amari Jones" he said my full name and I swear it sounded like straight liquid sex, I pushed my thighs together. That wasn't something I should be thinking about. "Let's go over the benefits package then and get you settled in the adjoining office."

Yes! My inner goddess jumped at winning this battle. I smiled in his direction and hoped I didn't look smug. He stared at me deadpanned. Shit. I wasn't making a very good first impression but then again neither was he. I knew that though, I won this round we were only beginning.

For the next hour I signed papers, he discussed his expectations for me with both him and the other departments in the building. I was impressed he had a working group for everything. Weddings and charity events being the largest. He had his own damn bakery and caterer for crying out loud. It was nuts. And he personally signed off on each event. I was going to be busy.

"Ok and finally did they discuss salary and living arrangements with you?"

"No, we didn't...wait, living arrangements?" I questioned.

"Yes." He stared deadpan again. "I decided that because we would be working so closely and traveling extensively you would move into the condo next to my own. This way you are always close to help with whatever I need."

My jaw dropped. What the hell? I didn't expect that. The ad never said the job came with living arrangements. "The salary is 85k a year with health benefits and also living arrangements. As in living where I say." He replied to my shocked expression. A smug grin on his face now. He had turned the tables on me.

My brain caught up to his words. I and challenged him back.

"I can't move I'm sorry."

"And why not?" he questioned sternly.

"Well, I live with my boyfriend" I said. "I don't think he'll want to move and I have a lease."

His face seemed more upset now at the mention of my boyfriend but I brushed it off. In a another lifetime he still wouldn't care.  "I didn't say your boyfriend had to move. That's his prerogative. Just you. That is if you are serious about this position and want to keep it. I'll pay off your lease agreement if I must." He pasted on that smug look again. But now it was my turn to concede. I wanted this job.

"I do, Mr. Haynes!" I needed this job if I wanted to keep moving forward. Jacob would just need to understand.

"Good. Then let's get you settled into your office." Parker stood then effectively ending the discussion about the condo and I followed his lead. He gave me a moment to grab my bag and heels watching me hobble around with amusement clear on his face. Jerk. We walked through the door off to the side of his office.

The space was large with big tinted windows behind my desk. The walls were bare and so was my desk save for the computer and phone.