30

Ayla's pov

I had fucked up.

And I had fucked up bad.

As I stood there as a status listening to Mike's allegations, unable to answer Klaus' questions, unable to meet his gaze but he still forced me to look into his eyes, as I watched the dejected look in his eyes when I said sorry and then watched him walk away from me.

And it wasn't that I didn't know the answer to Klaus' question. I did. I wanted to scream that I loved him and only him. I wanted to tell him Mike was wrong and that I was his and his alone.

But the situation was so chaotic that nothing would come out of my mouth. First Mike's threatening, then Klaus beating him up mercilessly, then Mike's allegations, it all took such a toll on me that I was unable to speak. I knew it was all my fault but I never wanted Klaus to find out this way. I was drowning in this ocean of guilt and I could see no way out. It was suffocating, it was distressing and I felt just so helpless.

But I couldn't let our relationship end like this. We had such amazing happy memories- game nights, movie dates, prom, New Year's Eve... and last night. Even just a normal day with him felt so serene and peaceful. Every moment with him was etched into my brain- how he teased me, how I teased him, how I would get mad at him, how he would convince me. I had to fix it and I knew I could. Our love was real and that was all that mattered.

I went up to my room to call Klaus but he wouldn't pick up. I left him numerous messages but he just wouldn't read them. I was worried about him because he had left his house in such anger, that I was terrified and hoped he had reached home safely. I called Landon and asked him to go check on Klaus as I hailed a cab to take me to his place.

Mid-way through the ride Landon calls me and I felt glad that I would be getting some update on Klaus. But my heart sank as soon as I heard Landon.

"The kitchen caught fire Ayla. We haven't been able to find Klaus or get in touch with him. I suspect that he's in his room but we are not sure if the fire has reached his room and it's too risky. He does have a fire sprinkler system but I've called the fire department so they can handle the situation better."

My mind came up with the worst scenarios and reminded me of the time when my parent's house caught on fire. I told the cab driver to drive faster. I was so scared about the what ifs but all I could do was pray so I did. I prayed that he would be safe and unharmed. I didn't know what I'd do without him. I was so used to him that there wasn't even a single day I spent without talking to him ever since we got together. Even if it was a simple good morning or good night.

I hurriedly paid the driver and rushed into Klaus' house but Landon held me by my arms to stop me.

"Ayla, it's not safe for you to go inside. We don't know how bad the fire is but we have to wait for the fire fighters, they'll be here as soon as possible." Landon tried to console me but I couldn't control myself.

I got out of his grip and rushed towards Klaus' room. There was fire around me but it wasn't spreading too fast. As I reached Klaus' room, he was sitting near his bed, his eyes were almost closed as I noticed he had a bottle of alcohol next to him, his curtains had caught fire but thankfully, he was unharmed.

"Klaus, wake up." I rubbed my hand on his face gently to wake him up and he woke up groggily. As if sensing the fire around us, he went into panic mode, picked me up in his arms and ran out of his room until we reached a safe place in his garden.

"Ayla, what were you doing there? Are you out of your mind? You could've got hurt!" He spoke angrily, noticing all the bruises on my arm caused by the fire. "Landon, bring some ointment, quick!" He ordered and Landon brought the things.

The way he tended to my wounds and bruises was proof of how much he still loved me and cared for me. And now I had to prove to him that I loved him too.

"I'm sorry Klaus." I spoke and as soon as those words left my mouth, it was as if he remembered all that had happened before the fire incident and moved away from me.

"Please listen to me." I pleaded and I was glad when he nodded. "I know I've really hurt your feelings and broke your trust but I never wanted to."

I took a deep breath and then continued. "I won't lie and say that I didn't have feelings for Chris... I did." I could see how agonised Klaus felt but I had to let everything out.

"I knew I wasn't completely faithful to you and I've hated myself for that, so much. I wasn't able to control how I felt and I couldn't get over it no matter how much I tried. Call it a crush or infatuation or a soft-spot but I had it for him."

"Please don't continue Ayla. I can't bear this anymore, if you want to leave me and be with him, just leave." Klaus spoke, shattering my heart as I realised he thought I was going to leave him for Chris.

"No, no. Please let me complete. I did meet him this morning and he did confess to me that he likes me, but I don't want to be with him Klaus. I want to be with you. And this time, I am absolutely clear. No conflicts, no second thoughts." I tried to convince him because I needed him to trust me again. I needed a second chance from him.

"The thing is. You make me so happy, you know exactly what to say at exactly the right times. You don't judge me and stick up for me. You agree with what I'm saying, even if I sound stupid, anything to stop an argument. I feel safe when I'm with you and you're always there for me. I love how you know how I'm feeling or how you know what not to say so that I don't feel a certain way. I love your smile, the way you laugh at my stupid jokes. I love you so much, I need to be with you forever. You make me so happy and I want to make you feel the same... I love you. I am madly, foolishly and truly in love with you." I spoke with all sincerity. Every single word I said, I meant it, from the bottom of my heart.

I could see his eyes soften as I came closer to me and I caressed his face with my hand, wiping off all the tears that stained his cheek.

"You can ask Chris what I told him but I chose you. I choose you and I'll choose you over and over and over. Without pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat. I'll keep choosing you." As soon as I said that, his lips met mine as he pulled me in a soft and passionate kiss. After that I knew Klaus and I were going to be fine.

Klaus Anderson was my chosen one and I was so glad that he chose me.

-The End-

Thank you for reading this story till the end. It's been a bittersweet journey for me as the response I received for this story did not reach my expectations. Maybe this story was not as good as I thought it was or it didn't reach the right audience. Nevertheless, I will revisit this story in the future and try to improve it. I remember I was very happy writing this story and it is very close to my heart. My mom still asks me if this story is going well and I tell her it is. Hopefully now that it is complete (except for the epilogue), more people will be inclined to read it. I can't thank the people who voted and commented enough.

IMPORTANT: Since I have a lot of time on my hands during this quarantine, I will be writing more stories

IMPORTANT:
Since I have a lot of time on my hands during this quarantine, I will be writing more stories. If other platforms want to approach me for this story or my new work and pay me for it, they can DM me or email me at: writer.5150.wattpad@gmail.com
Also, if you want me to edit your work, leave me a message and I'll try to get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Don't forget to vote and comment. Happy reading!