29

Klaus' pov

I was seething with rage and all I could see was red as I separated Ayla from Mike. This bastard was abusing my Ayla, I felt ashamed to call him my friend. I thanked God that I heard Ayla's scream because otherwise her condition would have been even worse. I punched Mike repeatedly, having lost myself in the anger, and surprisingly Mike didn't fight back or retaliate.

"HOW DARE YOU TOUCH HER LIKE THAT?" I shouted at him, watching his bruised face and bleeding nose. I had repeatedly warned him to stay away from Ayla if he didn't like her but then he had to pull this stunt.

I looked at Ayla who was whimpering and shivering, her face filled with tears and a red mark or her cheek. I left Mike as soon as my eyes fell on it and began to caress her.

"I'm so sorry Ayla, so sorry. Where does it hurt baby? Let's get you to your apartment so that I can take care of you." I felt so guilty for not being there with her at the right time. Mike attacked her the day I gave her guards an off because I thought I would be there with her the entire time so we wouldn't need them. How wrong was I.

"You shouldn't be the one apologising, she should be the one to apologise to you!" Mike spat and I felt my temper rising again. I didn't care what he was talking about, my top priority right now was Ayla.

"Why don't you say something Ayla, why don't you tell him your dirty secret?" Mike provoked her and she began to cry even more.

"SHUT UP! Just shut up! One more word and I will forget all that you've done for me and kill you right here." I threatened him but he seemed unfazed.

"You can do whatever you want. But you know how much I care about you. You're like my brother and everything I do is to protect you. And right now, I need to protect you from this bitch." Mike spewed out of this mouth and like a trigger, I was set off at the word 'bitch'.

I strangled him, punched him, kicked him but he still continued to talk, "Ayla, tell him! Tell him how you've been seeing Chris behind Klaus' back. Tell him about your feelings for Chris! How much you love him!"

And for a second, I stopped what I was doing and tried to process what he meant. He couldn't be saying the truth. Chris and Ayla were just friends, there was nothing else between the two.

"Stop lying Mike! Don't make things worse for yourself than they already are!" I hit him again and he vomited blood out of his mouth.

"Why don't you ask her then? Look at her Klaus! She isn't denying it! She knows I'm right!" He kept provoking me and as much as I didn't want to be provoked, I couldn't help but look at Ayla for confirmation that Mike was lying.

But Ayla just stood there, dazed and still. She wouldn't utter a single word and it was probably because she was so traumatised by this entire incident.

"Klaus, how blind are you? She's fed you with so many lies and fake promises that you can't see the truth! She's been in love with Chris this entire time and all of this has been happening right under your nose!" Mike tried to convince me but I tried to be headstrong.

My Ayla wouldn't do such a thing to me? Right?

But for a second, just a second, I became conflicted. Chris and Ayla were best friends, they were extremely close to each other, they knew everything about each other, they would always be together, they fought all the time but they always made up. Could it be?

I left Mike and went up to Ayla who refused to look into my eyes but I still forced her to.
"Baby, just tell me once that Mike's wrong." I desperately wanted to hear it from her mouth for my own sanity. She refused to utter a single word but her eyes had this apologetic look that I didn't want to believe.

"Please Ayla, I beg you! Say something!" I was so close to breaking down. Why was this happening to me? She just continued to cry and didn't say anything to defend herself or prove Mike wrong. She just mouthed 'I'm sorry' and that's when hell broke loose.

I let go off her and started to walk to my car. I was in denial. I couldn't believe that Ayla would do such a thing.

I was cheated on. Twice. The first time didn't hurt as much as the second one. This kind of pain was even worse because I was hurt by the person I explained my pain to.

My mind played all the times Ayla and Chris were together and things started to get more apparent. Ayla agreeing to tutor Chris, making her favourite cake, wearing his bracelet everyday which he gave her on Christmas, staying with him at the hospital, being so affected when he was caught cheating at the hospital, always remembering every tiny detail about him. The way she looked at him, the way she spoke about him, she could never stay mad at him, both of them knew how to lift each other's mood, they both were inseparable.

All of these were signs that I missed and I felt like a loser. I felt all my insecurities catching up to me and taunting me. Of course I wasn't good enough. I was fat and undeserving. No matter how much I tried, I would never be good enough. Why would a girl as pretty as Ayla even want to be with me? Chris was a million times better looking than I was and it was just a matter of time that she would leave me and only be with him.

I wanted to be wrong, I wanted this whole thing to be a dream. I wanted Ayla all to myself and I was willing to mend all my rules for her. I gave her everything I had without making sure she wanted it.

I reached home and locked myself in a room, pulling out some alcohol to lessen all the pain I was going through. I hadn't drank since a really long time but right now, I just wanted some kind of escape. I was alone and empty, but who knew emptiness could be so heavy.

I didn't know how much alcohol I had but it was still not sufficient to dull the ache in my heart. I felt broken and I knew she was the only one who could repair me. I sat down in my room, unaware of my surroundings.

And I sat there motionless and numb as the fire around me got overshadowed by the fire inside of me.

Don't forget to vote and comment. Happy reading!