4

Ayla's pov

My breath hitched as soon as I saw him. My instincts said that I wouldn't like the surprise and I didn't. I silently prayed that it was a dream and that he wasn't standing right in front on me.

Chris Harrison.

With his charming smile and fluffy hair, he was every girl's dream. He knew the effect he had on girls which encouraged his playboy ways. He had a new girlfriend every month and it wasn't surprising since he had a line of girls willing to be with him.

I was speechless when I saw him. Although I knew he would be back some day since he had only gone out of town on a stupid vacation, but a part of me wished he wouldn't come back.

"Hey." He spoke first, breaking my trance.

"Hey." I replied back but I sounded confused. Usually when I would see him, I would squeal and jump in excitement.

But things had changed... I had changed.

That didn't change the fact that he was my best friend and we had countless memories in school. Playing games, bunking classes, cheating in tests and what not.

A lot had changed... but my feelings for him hadn't.

My traitorous heart started to beat fast at the mere sight of him. At first I brushed it off as a crush and called it infatuation. But time passed and the feelings were still there. And they kept intensifying day by day. He had my heart jump, my heart smile, my heart do backflips.

But it was wrong for me to think this way. I was with Klaus now. Klaus who loved me. Klaus who was willing to do everything for me. And I was finally happy that I had moved on, and then this happened.

I had known Chris for around 5 years now. I knew everything about him. His likes, dislikes, family history, when he woke up, when he slept and even when he had his dentist appointments.

It took me six months to develop and finally realise my feelings for him. The same six months where Klaus was trying to convince me to be his girlfriend.

"Excuse me," I told the two as I walked out without saying anything else to Chris. Standing with the two of them suffocated me and I needed fresh air. But I knew both of them would come to check on me, sooner or later. I just hoped Klaus would come before Chris.

I went outside to the garden where there stood a fountain. My mind replaying memories with Chris. And that was the main problem.

I couldn't get over those feelings because I kept feeding them with memories.

And then I heard footsteps. Footsteps I knew were his.

"Lolo."

There it was. That nickname. That silly nickname. At first I hated it because he would use it to tease me. And I had never imagined it would end up meaning so much to me.

You only gave nicknames to the people close to you. So I had made scenarios in my head, ultimately hurting myself in the end.

"Chris." I breathed out when I realised I had been holding my breath.

"You look great." I continued as I eyed his suit. He always wore fitted clothes so you could see his toned body and even his muscles.

"Who are you and where is my Ayla?!" He joked because I never complimented him. But what caught my attention was when he said 'my' Ayla. A few months ago if he had said that, I would've been over the moon, but now our situation was different. And it only made me want to cry. I was torn. I had always wanted to be HIS Ayla but now I was Klaus'.

Brushing away my thoughts, I asked, "How was your trip?"

"Man it was amazing! A lot of walking though. But the mountains, the valleys, the landscape, the lakes, the thrill, totally worth it!" He beamed and I smiled back.

"You should've come too!" He remarked and I remember when he asked me about it. But at that time I was so heartbroken because of him, so I had refused.

"Maybe next time?" I suggested, although I wasn't really up for it.

"Definitely!" He spoke and then continued, "Also, I've got something for you. Don't tell anyone else in our group because I haven't really got anything for the rest. I'll just give them chocolates." He finished and I was shocked.

Chris was not a kind of person who would get gifts for others. In a way, he made me feel special. And before, I used to be delighted when he got me gifts but I wasn't now. I wanted him to treat me as an ordinary friend.

I was going to protest, but when he took out the koala keychain, I forgot everything. I didn't know whether he knew this or not, but koalas were my favourite animal.

"This is so cute, I love it!" I told him and he smiled. But then I remembered something.

"Um, how's Chloe?" Last time I heard, Chris had asked her out and she hadn't even wasted a second to agree.

"Chloe who?" He questioned and by his expression I could tell that he wasn't joking.

"CHLOE EVANS! Your girlfriend you dumbass!"

"Oh, her! Chloe and I broke up like a month ago! So excuse me if I don't remember her." I hated this attitude of his but I didn't have the energy to argue with him right now.

'Did you miss me?' I wanted to ask but I held myself back. I questioned myself as to why I wanted to know whether he missed me or not. It wouldn't change anything, would it?

Thankfully his mom had called him so he went back inside. I decided to call Beth and Stace in a group call.

"He's back." I told them and heard them gasp. These two knew about my feelings for Chris even before I realised them. Stace shipped Chris and I together and always made me realise how Chris treated me differently from other girls, even better than he treated his girlfriends.

"We know." Beth spoke and I stilled.

"What?"

"We knew he's back. He messaged us this morning and told us not to tell you since he wanted to surprise you." This was Stace.

"And we thought that since you're with Klaus now, you wouldn't be affected by Chris." This was Beth.

"Wow, and I call you two my best friends? You know what, I'll talk to you two later."

I fucking hate surprises.

I really don't like surprises. What about you?

Don't forget to vote and comment

Don't forget to vote and comment. Happy reading!