Chapter 5: Day 027

[[ Phone call ]]

- Incoming call from Guzmán – 

Guzmán: Nadia? Is everything okay? I just woke up and saw all of the missed calls from you.

Nadia: Guzmán! Yes, I'm sorry for making you worry..

Guzmán: You're still awake? What time is it over there?

Nadia: About 4am. Listen, Guzmán, I was out with Lu tonight. She wanted to take me to a club to celebrate my birthday, and I agreed. But we had too much to drink and Lu had a freaking out episode – she said she saw Polo at the club and he was holding a knife, waiting to kill her...

Guzmán: Oh my God.

Nadia: Yes! It was crazy. She was out of control. I had trouble pulling her out of the club. Luckily there was a group at a nearby table who saw us and helped me get Lu outside.

Guzmán: I'm so sorry I wasn't awake to pick up your calls.

Nadia: I called you when I got home and had tucked Lu into bed. It was just such an insane night, I had to talk to someone about it...

Guzmán: I'm glad you thought of me, Nadia. How is Lu doing?

Nadia: She's sound asleep. I think she might need to go for some therapy sessions or something.

Guzmán: I think that will be good, yes. The whole Polo thing is eating her alive.

Nadia: Guilt can wreak havoc in the worst ways. I don't think anyone of us can escape from feeling the guilt, but of course Lu is affected the most.

Guzmán: Does Lu's family know about what's been happening to her in New York?

Nadia: I sent a text message to her mother, but no reply.

Guzmán: It's a good thing you're there with her. She really needs you.

Nadia: And I will certainly do all I can to help her get better.

Guzmán: Just make sure not to overstress yourself, okay?

Nadia: I will try my best. The group I met at the club – they are around our age and they go to a neighboring university. They seem really nice, and I exchanged numbers with one of the girls, Madelyn.

Guzmán: Look at you. You managed to save Lu and also make new friends, all in one night.

Nadia: {laughs} If you remember, the teachers at Las Encinas used to call me an overachiever.

Guzmán: Some things never change then. {chuckles}

Nadia: I guess I'd better try to get some sleep now. {yawns}

Guzmán: Yes, sounds like a good idea.

Nadia: I miss you, Guzmán.

Guzmán: Trust me, I miss you more. Take care, Nadia.

Nadia: You too. Bye.

Guzmán: Bye.