Chapter 12: Day 088

[[ Video call ]]

Guzmán: Hello Nadia. Can you hear me?

Nadia: Hello Guzmán! Yes I can, loud and clear. You're so dressed up!

Guzmán: Do you like my tux?

Nadia: I do.

Guzmán: You look beautiful.

Nadia: Thank you. {beams shyly} This dress – I tried it on at the Gucci boutique when Lu was still working there. She said I must get the dress. But honestly, even with Lu's staff discount, it was still crazy expensive.

Guzmán: Well, I'm glad Lu talked you into buying the dress. It's stunning. Just like you.

Nadia: I was saving it for a special occasion. And here we are.

Guzmán: {grins} Here we are. So... {gestures arms around} What do you think?

Nadia: You've given your bedroom a romantic setting, I see. The candles are lovely.

Guzmán: {nods} And I see that the wine and three course meal I ordered have been delivered safely to you.

Nadia: Yes. It's so fancy. Escargots and steak. And a chocolate and cheese platter for dessert.

Guzmán: I'm having the same. So it's like we're sitting together, on a candlelit date.

Nadia: Guzmán, I... {smiles and sighs} This is all so amazing. I can't believe all the thought that you put in to make this happen.

Guzmán: Well, we've been apart for almost three months. I miss you. I just want back some sense of normalcy between us, even if it's just for one day.

Nadia: I miss you so, so much. I love the idea of this date.

Guzmán: Let's begin enjoying the date then. Dig in.

Nadia: Let's.

Guzmán: {chews on food and sips on wine} So how has your week been?

Nadia: Perfect. Especially this moment right here.

Guzmán: {chuckles} Good. What about the 2,500-word paper you had to write? Is that done?

Nadia: I've completed the draft, but it's very rough. I'll need to go through it again and fine-tune some parts. Recheck the citations. Things like that. And how have things been with you?

Guzmán: Not too bad. Can't believe school is starting soon though. {makes a face}

Nadia: Senior year for you – again!

Guzmán: Yes. Fun times.

Nadia: I'm sorry. I shouldn't tease you. I hope school will go well for you. Or at least be less drama-filled this year.

Guzmán: It's okay. I just want to get it over with. I shall enjoy what's left of summer vacation first.

Nadia: That's the spirit.

Guzmán: There's a party at Rebe's house tomorrow. I still haven't decided if I'm going...

Nadia: That sounds fun. Will the rest be there?

Guzmán: I know that Ander and Omar are going. Samu isn't invited, I think.

Nadia: Ouch. Rebe is still mad at Samu?

Guzmán: Seems like it.

Nadia: I hope they patch things up eventually.

Guzmán: Me too.

Nadia: I really miss everyone.

Guzmán: Come back here for a visit.

Nadia: It's not entirely out of the question, I suppose...

Guzmán: What? Are you serious? {looks up with a grin}

Nadia: I'm thinking I can get a part-time job somewhere in the university and hopefully save enough money for a flight back to Madrid to see everyone... Early next year perhaps?

Guzmán: That would be amazing. I would love that.

Nadia: {smiles}

Guzmán: Actually, I was also thinking of making a trip to New York one day...

Nadia: You were? {widens smile}

Guzmán: Yeah. I can find one weekend to go over. You can bring me around. Introduce me to your friends, especially the group you met at the club with Lu.

Nadia: Yes. We can definitely plan something... {glances down at her phone} Speaking of which – Madelyn just texted me. Do you mind if I check her messages?

Guzmán: Don't be silly. Please go ahead while I wolf down this scrumptious steak.

Nadia: {picks phone up and reads text messages silently} {eyebrows furrow into a slight frown}

Guzmán: What is it?

Nadia: It's nothing. {puts phone back down} Now, where were we?

Guzmán: Nadia. If there's anything, you know you can tell me, right?

Nadia: Well – it's just that Madelyn and the rest want to go to Coney Island. They plan to leave in half an hour.

Guzmán: Oh.

Nadia: I'll reply to say I can't go.

Guzmán: Nadia, if you want to go with them, it's perfectly fine by me.

Nadia: No, no. We're on a date.

Guzmán: Hey... You're in New York. You should be enjoying your time there. I promise I'm okay if you'd like to hang out with your friends.

Nadia: {chews on lower lip} You would really be okay?

Guzmán: {nods}

Nadia: {exhales} Okay then... I guess I'm headed to Coney Island.

Guzmán: Go get ready, okay?

Nadia: You're truly the best. You know that, don't you?

Guzmán: Sure. Just know that you owe me big time. {winks}

Nadia: Your wish is my command.

Guzmán: I like the sound of that.

Nadia: {laughs}

Guzmán: I'll catch you another time. Goodbye, Nadia.

Nadia: Goodbye, Guzmán. I... I love you.

Guzmán: I love you more.

Nadia: {blows a kiss} {ends the call}