-9-

Not edited. Oh ok. I'm such a softie. Have another!

Walking into the closet with his heart racing he looked at everything she'd left behind. He hadn't walked into this closet since she left... he couldn't. No one was permitted to enter. Not even Mrs Meers.

Clenched fists and narrowed eyes coupled with a laboured breath made his decision easier.

Like a madman he grabbed everything he could and ran down the stairs to the backyard. Again and again the pile got bigger until the closet was empty... apart from the drawer.

Shaky hands slowly slid the drawer open as he wondered if she'd taken it. Searching through the small compartments he cried out as he found it and took it into his hand.

Dropping to his knees he held it, staring as the above light caught it and it mocked him by sparkling at him. Why didn't she take it? Surely it meant something to her as it did to him?

His mind grew hard as he realised the promise meant nothing to her in the end. The day he'd placed it around her neck he promised that on her twenty first birthday he would ask her to marry him.

A promise that he would never keep.

She was a whore.

What if she wasn't? Is it at all possible she was telling the truth? Why would she move on so easily if she was?

Is it possible that he really might be the father of her baby? No. It couldn't be possible.

But what if...

No.

Standing up he placed the diamond necklace back into the drawer, closed it and walked out. He had a fire to start. The drawer could wait.

He watched the flames get higher and higher until he had to move away; the heat unbearable. He almost raced to it and dragged out clothes he remembered from special nights they had. He forced himself not to. She'd moved on, now he had to  as well. Keeping these things would only confuse his memory.

She cheated.

She was caught because she got pregnant.

She was with a new man.

She obviously never loved him really.

She... she was his everything.