-32-

Not edited. I'm running out of tissues!

Maxon sat buckled up with feelings of fear and guilt storming through him. His eyes never left the medical crew as they checked and double checked all of Claire's vitals. Over and over again he held his breath until they said the word 'stable'.

He'd left Red in a screaming mess as the doctor refused to clear her for travel. She was so upset at the thought of being away from Claire that her legs buckled from underneath her and he'd only just caught her before her body slammed on the floor in a hysterical slump. He'd picked her up and placed her on the bed and promised with everything in him that he wouldn't leave Claire even for a moment while they were apart.

He grabbed Lucas on his way out of the hospital. Running together he gave Lucas orders that he was to fly Red to where they were going as soon as she was medically cleared for travel. Emotionally would be another story.

His gut wrenched as he thought of the misery in her eyes as she pleaded for him to take care of their baby. It was only when the doctor said there was only a couple of minites left before the flight was ready to leave that she reluctantly let go of his arm. He kissed her on the forehead and as he left the room he promised to call her as soon as they arrived.

Now they were travelling and he found himself thanking God for the fact that he could see Claire's tiny chest rising with every breath she took. He wasn't a religious man but if a prayer to a mysterious force would help save his daughter then he'd take that chance.

No one was able to say exactly what was wrong with their baby and didn't want to speculate in case their unconfirmed diagnosis was wrong. All they'd say was that because Claire was premature it was a possible conplication from her birth.

He didn't understand what the hell they were talking about, it felt like they were skirting around the whole problem while the looks of hope on their faces were made redundant by the sadness held within their eyes. They knew more than what they were saying.

"Mr Price... Mr Price..." The young nurse was speaking to him softly. He looked at her with eyes wide open expectantly, a breath held in... waiting.

She smiled kindly at him and asked if he wanted to hold his baby's hand. He nodded quickly and mumbled a low thank you as he unclipped his seatbelt and moved to the seat she vacated.

Opening the small round door his hands were shaking nervously. He reached in and gently picked up her hand. So tiny. So very very tiny.

Unaware of the tears that fell fron his face he looked at her tiny hand conpared to his. Swamped would be a good description of how her hand was being held.

He pushed his fore finger up into her palm and choked back on a sob as her hand clasped the top of his finger.She held him in the only way that she could.

That was how they stayed for the remainder of their journey. A father and daughter moment that he was grateful to have while at the same time he wished it didn't happen in the way that it had.