-19-

Not edited.

"Wake up sleeping beauty."

His voice. Did he kiss her? Did he touch her?

Had it been a dream? She fought to open her weary eyes. The light dim in the room and she slowly peeked through little slits as her eyes adjusted to being open for the first time in hours.

Claire.

Her eyes opened wide as she tried to sit up and fell back in a scream of uncomfortable pain while wanting to curl up so her stomach didn't stretch out.

Fuck. Who ever made the choice to have a caesarean over natural birth was a fucking idiot. The fuckin pain!

She cried out with a mournful cry as she tried to turn over to see if anyone was in the room. Her body wasn't her own. Satan himself had taken over it and used it as a punching bag.

"Red honey, stay still and I'll give you something for the pain." A nurse was quickly at her side and checking the IV.

"I.want.Claire." Her words forced through gritted teeth as she fough unsuccessfully to clamp down on another arrow pointed wave of pain.

" I'll get her brought in for you honey right after we deal with this pain."

"I don't want to sleep again."

"No honey you won't. Different drug this time."

"Fuck,"  her face screwed up as a tear fell from the corner of her eye.

"This won't take long to work honey I promise." The nurse smiled at her and all Red wanted to do was rip her head off and shove it up her arse with a kick from her favourite stiletto.

"You're a very loved young lady. Your family..."

"Your brother and sister were here with.. Oh... and my... doesn't little Claire look just like her father?"

"Maxon?" she whispered.

"Oh my dear. He was a wreck when he came in here. Wouldn't take his eyes off you for a moment and when Claire was brought in..."

"What" she gulped "did he say?"

"It wasn't what he said honey, it was the way he looked at her. She was still in the humidy crib and he lay over the top and couldn't take his eyes off her."

The nurse smiled at her "He was definitely a father in love honey. I swear I saw his fingers twitch as he counted hers."

Red choked back a sob and received a quick squeeze of the hand.

"It's always wonderful to see how new Dad's react to their babies. Just beautiful." She smiled again "Now, how about we bring that beautiful daughter in for a visit hmm?"

Red could only nod. She didn't trust herself to speak for fear of losing her self control.

Maxon was here?

Where is he now?

She lay back into the pillows as gently as she could. Her mind was spinning with a million questions as a hazy, drug induced, pain free wave came over her body.

Damn, she thought to herself. Gotta love drugs.

********

Yep, short I know. But hey... Red's awake!

Quick FYI. I don't condone the use of hard drugs. Never have, never will. This pain scene is pretty much based on an experience my sister had. Drugs were her friend for a couple of days before she left the hospital. She toughed it out as best she could after that.