Chapter 1 ~ Nothing Surprises Me

Third Person P.O.V

The night before had been a chilly one in Baker Street, but this morning it was abuzz with television crews, curious bystanders and police.
Across the road there had been an explosion which had shattered the windows of several nearby homes, including the windows of 221b Baker Street. There, inside the flat, paced a tall, thin, curly dark-haired man who was talking to himself.

"I wanted something interesting to happen and this is what i get. A gas explosion. A tedious gas explosion! What is this world coming to damn it?!"

In a huff he let himself fall onto the sofa, staring at the windows his landlady Mrs Hudson had mostly boarded up for him while he was washing bits go glass and rubble out of his hair.

Actually, he thought, standing and looking across the room. Mrs Hudson had taken his skull.

"Oh for God's sake!" He cried, "No skull, no John, no cases to be solved, nothing to amuse me!"

He picked up his violin case and took the instrument out, sitting in his armchair now while he plucked away at the strings absent-minded, eyes closed. Surely something would come up?

Well, something better come up or John's life is going to be hell for the next few days, he thought.

It was then that he heard a ring from the front door.

"Mrs Hudson! The door!" He shouted.

"I know dear, I'm not deaf," she called back.

He heard the door open and then a voice, a voice belonging to Mycroft Holmes. The man scowled a little, he never appreciated these visits from his brother. But then that scowl turned into a look of curiosity. There was a third voice, a woman's. One he had never heard before. It was slightly tense, with an accent that didn't sound British, but might've been once before.
That voice, along with Mycroft's, were becoming clearer as they walked upstairs. The man stopped plucking away at his violin, straining instead to hear what was being said on the staircase.

"...Not like me?" He heard the female say.

"I can't be sure, but you're the one who wanted to come along. You could've stayed behind you know."

"And do what? Your place is so boring, too bright and too..... Governmental"

The man raised his eyebrows, head turned to the side. Since when had Mycroft had a lady friend over at his house? Was she even a friend, perhaps she was something more?
His eyes flickered over towards the door that was being opened and he was greeted by the sight of his brother who, by the looks of it, was failing the diet her was on.

"Sherlock," Mycroft said, nodding curtly in his direction.

"Who's your friend?" Sherlock asked, trying to look past his brother.

"She's not a friend," Mycroft replied.

"Ah, lover perhaps? Are you here to introduce me to my soon to be sister-in-law?"

"Oh please, Sherlock, you know that's not true"

Sherlock smiled.

"I know. You don't smell like lovers at all. Do i get another guess?"

"Guess, deduce, whatever you do you wont get it right," Mycroft sneered.

"Victim of a recent Government scam-" Mycroft scowled at Sherlock, "Someone requiring my help? Random person who has decided to stalk you and your allowing it because this is the only attention you've gotten from a woman in many years now?"

"Oh please Sherlock, now your just guessing like a common person off the street," The female spoke coolly, brushing past Mycroft. Sherlock blinked, staring at the woman. Then he gasped.
Nothing ever surprised him. He, Sherlock Holmes, was very hard to surprise. He could, in a matter of seconds, figure out each and every bit of someones life in detail, so whatever they said or did it wouldn't surprise him.
But this, oh, this... He felt like he was drowning in surprise.

"T-Teddy?" He stammered, shocked. The woman, who looked about 19 or 20, smiled slyly, running a hand through her long, slightly curly dark brown hair. Sherlock noticed that the ends were dyed red like blood.

"Miss me dear brother?" she asked.

Comment and fave! Thanks

~DM