Chapter 18~ D.I Worries

Lestrade's P.O.V

"I better get my feelers out for this Golem character," I say after Sherlock has finished his deductions, Teddy imputing her own information that she had found out about the dead man lying in front of us every now and then.

"Pointless. You'll never find him. But i know a man who can," Sherlock says.

"Who?" I ask. With a grin he answers.

"Me."

And with that he walks away, John following. I sigh, looking down at the body then out towards the Thames. Sherlock had gotten a text this morning with his next puzzle instead of the usual call which was different. His puzzle was to find out who had sent the Golem to kill security guard Alex Woodbridge and the exact reason why.
I turned to walk away and was surprised to see Teddy still standing on the rocky river side staring towards the water.

"Teddy, I thought you would've gone with your brother," I say.

"Mmm," she hums, clearly not listening.

I stood by her side for a few seconds in silence which was broken when she spoke.

"He's trying to jog my memory," she says.

"Who?"

"The bomber," she told me.

"How-"

"Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you. I got a phone call yesterday morning from one of his workers. He told me that all the presents were to help me jog my memory."

"A phone- he got in touch!?" I cried, shocked.

"No, one of his workers-"

"Same thing! Teddy, you have to tell Sherlock!"

Teddy looked at me with eyes wide.

"I can't."

"He can-"

"Help? No, he can't. And neither can you, Lestrade. Just leave it."

"Teddy-"

"Leave it," she pressed. "Come on, Lestrade. What would you do to stop the bomber from giving me these gifts?"

I frowned. I didn't know what i would do. She nodded, accepting my silence as my surrender and went back to staring at the Thames.

"Have you remembered anything?" I asked.

"Yeah. One thing. Something that happened while i was in America." She told me and I noticed a flicker of confusion cross her face.

"Does it mean anything?" I asked.

"Not really. It had something to do with a day in Central Park."

"What happened?"

"Nothing. I just remembered being there for the day," she replies, sounding slightly annoyed at all the questions.

"OK, OK, sorry," I hold up my hands.

Yet again there is another moment of silence that washes over us. During this silence I can't help but worry. She was being targeted for some reason. To jog her memory. Why? And why couldn't she just ask Sherlock for help?

"Like I said, Lestrade, I can't," she says out of the blue.

"How did you know what I was thinking?!" I asked in slightly horror.

"You were thinking about my situation, I could read it on your face. You were concerned, then it changed to annoyance. You're annoyed because i'm being stubborn. I've only been stubborn about the fact that I will not tell Sherlock about these gifts, so I answered your thoughts."

I stared at her in stunned silence.

"You're right," I say.

"Of course."

She sniffed and put her hands in her trench coat pocket.

"Lestrade," she says slowly.

"Yeah?"

"I think something is going to happen."

My eyes caught her's and I noticed how they seemed to hide a fear deep beneath her Grey-blue ocean eyes.

"It'll be OK," I tell her. She nodded.

"Yeah. Maybe."

She looked away.

"I might catch up with Molly then join one of the boys. Just thought that perhaps I should fill you in," she says.

"Oh, yeah, sure," I say. She says goodbye and walks away without another word. My worried thoughts came back to mind and I winced. I know that they were just presents and I know that Teddy was a grown woman but I just got the strangest feeling whenever Teddy got a gift. A horrible feeling. I just hoped that Teddy wouldn't get hurt.

Comment and fave! Thanks!
~DM