Chapter 7~ Over a glass of Guinness

Lestrade's P.O.V

The pub had a steady crowd in tonight.

I was sitting by myself in a secluded booth with a drink in my hand watching a happy couple play pool together. The man leaned over and gave his girlfriend a kiss on the cheek and she laughed, pushing him away playfully.

My left hand twitched and I looked away from the couple and down at my hand. My wedding ring was the first thing i noticed and part of me wondered; 'What the hell was i thinking, marrying this woman?'

It was true that i was unhappy with my wife and that i was jealous of other people's happy relationships, but i never got the time to talk to her about it. She was out nearly every night, i'd return home to an empty bed, and even when she was at home the problem would be that I wasn't. We would be celebrating our eight year anniversary in two months time. I doubt she even knew that. It was like we had separate lives, like we weren't even married. We were always too busy with other things.

She cheats on me and I over-work.

I took a gulp of my drink to try drown out the thoughts that were swirling in my mind - like the fact that my marriage was slowly falling - when someone slid up next to me, her trench coat brushing against my leg as she sat down.

"I was supposed to buy you that," Teddy said, pointing at my drink.

"Refill then?"

Teddy smiled and called a waitress over.

"Two Guinness thanks," she said. The waitress smiled and left. I looked at Teddy.

"You drink that too then?" I asked.

"Its my favorite thing in the world, after nutella of course," she grinned. She looked around at the other people who were in the pub, Grey-blue eyes flickering. She didn't speak but i could tell she was doing- well, whatever she was doing. That deduction thing that she and her brother were good at. She was silent for too long though and after seeing her eyes scan the room four times now i began to feel awkward.

"Are you - uh, - waiting for something?" I asked wearily.

"I'm waiting for you to give me the package," she said simply.

"Oh! Um, yes, here," I said, reaching under the table and placing the small package on it. She tilted her head to the side, brown curls falling over one shoulder. I watched her pick it up and look at the small card hanging from it.

~Teddy Holmes

"Yet again, the very familiar handwriting," she muttered.

"You know it?" I asked.

"Think so. Maybe. Dunno. I told John that before when i saw the envelope for Sherly," she said, pulling away the brown paper that covered the small package. Inside the brown paper was a white box with little blue hearts. I blinked, looking at Teddy. She seemed equally surprised.

"So..... maybe the bomber is trying to spread the love?" I said sarcastically.

"The crying woman drew the short straw then; i'd rather have this than whatever she's got," Teddy told me. She took off the lid of the box and peered inside. Her eyes widened and her jaw opened slightly.

"Bloody hell," she whispered.

"What is it?" I asked, looking inside with her. My own jaw fell open when i saw what was lying among the tissue paper. Teddy reached in and picked it up, admiring it from all angles. The Lapis lazuli bracelet seemed to glitter whenever the light hit it well.