Chapter 11: The Begining

Who do you want to die most in the story?

forest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexa’s POV

          It was night and Jackson should’ve been back by now. I got up from the fire and looked up at the hill. The fire crackled as sticks burned. Adam wrapped his hands around me.

          “What’s wrong?” He asked putting his head on my shoulder.

          “Nothing, it’s just Jackson.”

          “Aw, come on. He’ll be back,” Adam turned me around. “I promise. Now let’s get some sleep.”

          Adam kissed me on the forehead and pulled me close to him. I fell asleep in seconds. The world went completely silent. Goodnight world.

I awoke with screaming and yelling. Adam was yelling at two men. I groaned and opened my eyes. The moment I awoke, the men grabbed me. My eyes jolted awake. They zip-tied cuffed my wrists. One man kneed me in the back and I fell to the ground. Adam threw a punch at the guy who cuffed me. He fell to the ground, and I was released. The second guy tackled Adam and knocked him unconscious. I cried Adam’s name, and kicked the guy in the face.

          The two men dragged us up the hill towards a yellow-faded school bus. When we got on the bus, I saw Jackson. He sat in an unconscious stage. The man holding me pushed me into his seat. “Jackson,” I whispered.

          When I studied him, he was shot in the liver. The butt of the gun bashed into his head, causing to blood drip down his face. Tears started to form in my eyes. The bus started moving, and then there was a loud pop! I jumped, and the two men started screaming. They got off the bus, and started punching windows. I looked at Jackson’s body. His face was pale and he was sweating. He has been through so much; I am not sure what to do anymore. After being left for dead and shot two times, he might not survive much longer.

          The two men took a while took a while to change the wheel, but we got back on the road eventually. One of the two men walked over to me. Adam groaned as he opened his eyes. I looked at him. “You’re coming with me when we get to camp,” He hissed, “if you’re not infected.”

          I swallowed hard. Adam sat up and watched the man sit behind me. I looked at Jackson, who was getting worse by the minute.

We reached the camp, and a nurse came up onto the bus. The guard roughly grabbed me, and pulled me next to him. The nurse pulled Jackson onto a stretcher and brought him down. Adam looked at me. I felt a tear roll down my face. The man pushed me off the bus. Adam looked behind him, to make sure the guard wasn’t behind us. He grabbed my hand, and pulled me behind the bus, and into the woods. “Hey!” A guard yelled. “Stop them!”

          I felt Adam remove my cuffs from my wrists. They where bloody, and dripping my blood into the grass. Adam wrapped his jacket around my wrists. We stopped behind a tree and took a breath.

          “Jackson,” I whispered as tears rolled down my face.

          “Jackson?” Adam asked with concern. “What’s wrong with him?”

          “The guards shot him.”

          Dogs barked behind us. We started running again, and I could barley move. “What are you doing?” Adam yelled.

          “Go!” I yelled back at him.

          He took off, watching him disappear into the dawn. The guards rounded the tree. Lights shone in my face, blinding my vision with black spots. Guns were up high, and I took a deep breath. The guard that made me sit by him bashed me in the head with his gun. “Don’t you ever run like that again! Next time you do, I’ll kill you right in front of your pretty boyfriend.”

          The guard raised me to my feet. He took me to the check point, and forced me to step through it.

Adam’s POV

          The screaming has faded. I looked behind me, and the lights were gone. It was a cloudy day today, storm is coming. I turned back as I found the coast was clear. What did happen to, Jackson? I did see he was a ghostly pale color, and he was sweating. Turn back, A voice whispered in my head. Save her. The guard is going to hurt her.

          I shook the voice out of my head. The clouds got darker. Alex is trouble. Go get her.

          I took off back towards the camp. Alexa was in trouble, and it was easy to spot. How that guard treated her, pulled her next to him. It all made me sick. That guard was like, forty-five? Alex is only twenty-four. I heard trees rustling behind me. Someone tackled me from behind, and I landed flat on my face. The impact caused my nose to bleed. I coughed up dirt and grass as the person flipped me over. Their eyes widened.

          “Adam?” He asked.

          He got off of me and handed me his hand. I grabbed it and I looked into the guy’s eyes, “Dad?”

          I gave him a hug. “Geez whiz, son,” He chuckled. “I thought you were dead.”

          “Me too Dad,” A tear rolled down my face.

          My father pulled away and I looked at camp. “Is something wrong, Adam?”

          Terrible pictures flashed in and out of my mind of the guard with Alexa. “Yeah,” I lied. “Uh, I mean no.”

          “Well, what’s up?”

          “It’s Alex. She is in trouble,” I looked at the ground.

          My father patted me on the back. “You’ll find her. Quick, let’s get back to the camp before we both get in trouble.”

          We started off towards the camp. When we got back, I crept through the main gates, which checked if I was infected. Neither me nor my father where infected. The guard, nodded, and let us in. This place felt like a new home. I scanned the surface for, Alexa. No sign of her. Lord, pray that she’s alright.