Chapter 8: With the Sheriff

hope you like

forest

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexa’s POV

          The birds chirped and sang. I slowly opened my eyes to reveal sunlight. Adam lay next to me. It was bright and sunny. The red and orange colors of the sun seeped through the horizon. I rubbed my eyes, and looked around. Jackson was still missing. I assumed it was probably seven or eight in the morning. I called for Jackson, but there was no response. The only noise is birds chirping, ducks quacked, and the geese honked. I called Jackson again . . . still no response. Jackson where are you?

Jackson’s POV

          I felt someone kicking me, not like a soft kick, but hard. “Wake up, sleeping beauty,” Myles voice rang.

          My eyes slowly opened, reveling Myles gang above me. I was picked up roughly. “You should know that this is the stupidest thing you’ve ever done,” I chocked out.

          “And why is that, dimwit?”

          “Because people will see you in the daylight,” A smirk grew on my face.

          Myles shook me hard, then throwing me to the ground. “You know what Hanes?” He screamed. “You better keep that mouth of yours shut or I’ll shut it for you!”

          “You think I’m scared of you? I’ve been through worse,” I rolled my eyes.

          Bobby pushed Myles out of the way, lifting his leg back. He threw it forward, my stomach started screaming. Bobby wore the pointed cowboy boots, which caused my stomach to bruise. I held my stomach in pain. “Don’t screw with the boss,” He whispered. “Or you’ll regret it.”

          Tears dripped down my face. Kingston came to the front, his nose bandaged. I started laughing.

          “What’s so funny?” He yelled.

          “You’re expression right now,” Kingston turned red with anger.

          He grabbed the baseball bat from behind Myles and raising it to the air. This time it wasn’t wood, it was metal. It flung down and hit me right in the face. The blow so hard, my world started to spin, and blood came out of my nose. “Hold him up,” Myles demanded.    

          Cameron came up, standing in front of me. Bobby and Kingston held my arms. Cameron kicked me in the stomach, causing the bruise to hurt more. I winced in pain, trying to hold in anymore tears.

          “Just l - leave me a - alone,” I whispered.

          “What was that?” Cameron asked.

          “I said, leave me alone!”

          Cameron walked up to me. He slapped me where the metal bat hit me. Blood trickled down the side of my head and nose. My body is beaten, and possibly broken. The duct tape that held my wrists together was wearing off. I felt blood drip into my hands. “Now,” Cameron said backing off. “This’ll only hurt for a second.”

          I felt him kick me in the chest. Kingston and Bobby dropped me.

          “I hope you have fun dying,” Cameron whispered in my ear, and walked off.

          “Yeah, see you soon, Hanes,” Myles said.

          My entire body was shaking. I was losing blood very fast. The last person who came into mind was, Alex.

Alexa’s POV

          Later on in the day, Adam and I went looking for, Jackson. We passed an alleyway, when heard I someone say my name. I looked around the corner and saw, Jackson.

          “Jackson!” I cried. I bent down next to him. “Jackson, wake up if you can hear me.”

          He eyes where heavy as he looked at me, “A - Alex?”

          “Oh, Jackson! What happened?” Adam appeared next to me.

          “K - Kids,” He whispered and he reached out his hand.

          I grabbed it. “How long has this happened?”

          “Since night,” He looked back at the ground, closing his eyes in pain. “They came back this m - morning,” He pointed to something.

          Adam grabbed it and he nodded. I carefully picked Jackson up and brought him back to the campsite. When we got back, everything is missing. Our bag, firewood, clothing and much more. The sound of breaks pulled up next to us. It was a black Ford Crown Victoria. The car had tinted windows and a front light holder. A cop, I thought. The driver rolled down his window.

          He wore a police uniform and jacket that had a badge saying Norman County Sheriff.

           “Ya’ll need a ride?” He had a western accent.

          I looked at, Adam. “Yes, please. Do know where a safe place is?” I asked worriedly.

          “Sure do. Get in and I’ll take you back to my place. Not very many Walkers there,” He tipped his hat.

          “Oh, thank you so much,” Adam opened the back passenger side door and got in.

          He helped me with, Jackson. As I got in, the sheriff looked at me through his rearview mirror, “What’s your names?”

          “Uh, my name is Alexa and this is my boyfriend Adam with my brother, Jackson.”

          We started off. “What happened to ya’ll brother?”

          “He was in a fight, and he’s close to death.”

          “Well, here’s the good news, luckily my wife is the nurse at Norman Hospital. She can’t help ya’ll brother get better.”

          “But don’t you need -?”

          The sheriff cut me off, “Medicine? Of course we do! We packed up most of the medicine and other supplies. Within a couple of days, your brother should get better.”

          “He’s lost a lot of blood,” I looked down at him; his face is a ghostly pale color.

          He groaned. “Fight . . . evil . . . hurt . . . kill . . . bullies . . . bat . . . injure.”

          “Jackson?” I asked.

          “They tried to kill me, kill me to get to you.”

          “What -?”

          Jackson fell back into his concussion. Tears filled my eyes. “Just a couple more minutes and we’ll be there,” The sheriff said.

We got there soon enough. The sheriff told us to wait in the car. What’s going to happen?