29

Downfall's and betrayals were always bitter to experience

Downfall's and betrayals were always bitter to experience. They didn't go according to any rules and weren't like wounds, but more like cuts in the skin that would never really heal because there was never anything to fall back on.

Elijah Blue wasn't like the others he had come with tonight, he didn't have any savings. He wasn't wealthy, he was a nobody.

If Logan Greece was to utter a word against him he was sure he would be barricaded by bars tonight in jail, and no one would bat an eyelid. But, the truth was, he wished Evalyn Gonzalez had enough to expose his exploitations and have him permanently put away instead.

He thought how if she did manage to successful coax a confession from him, then it would give Elijah enough reason to breathe for once and let his guards down. He wouldn't feel like there was a heavy weight on his shoulder anymore.

Hesitant, but ready to stand by Evalyn, Elijah nodded, and they both approached Logan and Selene, who were holding generous flutes of champagne, while conversing in what seemed like hushed whispers.

"Hola mama," Evalyn asserted, "This is Elijah. Maybe you've already met."

"That's a nice necklace you have on by the way, except you're basically poor now. Where did you get it? Steal it?"

Selene Gonzalez reacted in a way someone would think she was stabbed in the back, as her jaw dropped open and her expression turned perplexed, her fingers clutched the diamonds with might. "Is that any way to speak to your mother? How dare you?"

"Yes it is," Evalyn remarked simply, "I see no reason to pretend I have any trust left in you. Papa wanted to protect you from whatever mess he was stuck in, but it looks like you were involved yourself all along. Frankly I'm shocked I see more of you at these frivolous events, then in our family home, which you have obviously now abandoned. Good riddance, too."

"This is your daughter?" Logan interjected.

"Yes." Evalyn answered, "Unfortunately anyways. It's nice to meet you, Elijah here speaks highly of you."

"He does?" Logan suspiciously muttered, fumbling to loosen his tie, while bile rose up his throat, "He is a great asset to my company."

"Which one?" Evalyn feigned curiosity, "The illegal underground fighting? Or the fancy Manhattan business? Both which are incredibly impressive, mind you. Although the cage fighting seems like a means to once again exploit those disadvantaged."

"You don't know what you're talking about." Logan reprimanded, "Elijah Blue is a liar."

It didn't take him long to switch sides.

Elijah Blue was terrified in that moment. He knew him siding with Evalyn Gonzalez was for him, a death sentence, as Logan Greece knew all about the skeletons in his closet. He knew how easily he could tell the world the murder he had committed, and that made him sick to his stomach.