39

The most amusing thing about betrayal was that it frequently came from those who were closest to the afflicted and who were kept around, whether it was one's own blood or those who were kept right in front of the person's face

Evalyn let everything around her blur as time stood still with her. Her vision clouded, as if everything was just in the background, and her body went numb, unable to grasp the fact that Elijah's fingers were wrapped around her waist, holding her to him firmly. He was cautious and defensive, but it didn't matter anymore. Everything began to crumble and shatter around them, both metaphorically and practically.

She didn't care if she looked frail as she let the tears fall, one by one, streaking her cold and still face. All this time she hadn't let herself cry it out, because she wanted to stay strong on her venture to find out the truth. She never quite believed that the truth would ever be revealed though, especially after losing hope a few hours ago and mentally deciding she would give up, realising she wouldn't let the past consume her as much as it had.

But in the matter of a few minutes, everything had changed.

Everything was chaotic. Elijah protectively took a stance and hoped the imposter would make the first move, while he raised Daniel up and checked that he was okay.

One hand of his clenched into a fist, as he tried to process what had just happened. He was angry, confused and shocked. How was this even possible?

Evalyn finally spoke up, "Why?"

"Why?" He snarled, incredulously. Was she being serious? It was obvious why.

"Was it greed?" Evalyn choked out, "You wanted more than you already had? More than you were given?"

"I was one of them," He snapped, "Don't you understand? I was one of them, just not the same. I was always looked down at, not by your father, not by your mother. So I liked them very much, I respected them. But then I started to love your mother. I came to understand how she was kind and beautiful, and nothing like the rest of them."

He continued. "She made me feel like I was worth something more whenever she acknowledged me. I did it for her. She doesn't even know what I did, she doesn't know how much I lost of myself, just to be with her. And I find out she's been in New England, all these years, with Mr Smith? After everything I did for her!"

He was manic. His actions not calculated, as he didn't have a plan in place, this wasn't the same as when he saw the opportunity to get rid of Jorgio Gonzalez. That was much easier, especially when he was already being targeted by the others. He'd never used a gun before, not because he didn't know how, but because it looked messier and left fingerprints all over the place.

Daniel was sniffling, sobbing even as he covered his face with his hands, his body shaking. He couldn't understand what was happening. It scared him even more to watch as he laughed, waving his gun around when it accidentally went off, his face contorting with fake shock as he looked at the ghastly expressions of his victims. He had shot the mirror that stood in the lobby, and it smashed upon impact immediately, sending pieces of glass scattering.