35

a/n —avoid reading/ writing spoilers from this point onwards, i will end up deleting comments

Heart on your sleeve like you've never been loved
Running in circles, now look what you've done
Give you my word as you take it and run

Senator Elton arrived shortly after, dressed head to toe in clothes too proper and prim for a hellish night that would unravel. He sported a glum look on his face, but kept his lips pressed together, his eyes slightly blood-shot. That was a given since a woman like Evalyn had enough power at her fingertips that one time to drive him away, sending him away probably terrified that she would spill things about him.

But just like Logan and her mother, he'd returned.

He wasn't going to let himself be blackmailed though, not by someone he could easily remove. He knew when it came to power, he was mightier. He had her right where he wanted her now, it was all in motion and she'd stupidly come to him.

"It's good to see you all," Elton forced himself to say as he paced the room, his gaze falling on a nervous Selene. "Where is Daniel's father?"

"He couldn't make it, he was caught up with business." Selene replied, frowning.

Her fists tightened, Evalyn found herself trying to stay calm with every fibre of her being. She didn't want to burst now, not now anyways. All she knew was that she was disgusted by her mother for engaging in an affair with Daniel's father of all people, and she was happily with him too. How did that even develop over the years and turn into a relationship?

She couldn't comprehend what had driven her to desire to spend time with a man who was only a family acquaintance and the father of her own childhood best friend. It was repulsive and patronising.

"Evalyn," Elton sighed, taking a seat, "I know you have a lot of questions, and we're all here to answer them. All of us. We don't want to wage a war."

"But?" She snapped back.

"But we want to know what you did with what you took from us that night and make sure that you don't make anymore irrational decisions than you already have." He simply said.

The Senator continued. "We can only move forward if everyone is comfortable here and not fearing that you will threaten them. There's information there that could ruin families, not just ours but so many others. You already did quite some damage to Logan, he's had to take a leave from the company while he sorts out how he will explain the multitude of damage from the underground fighting. Your mother is your blood, yet you refuse to have a civil conversation with her because of her personal affairs."

The truth was, Logan had faced lesser damager than anticipated, he didn't have enough skeletons in his closet to have him reeling behind thick bars, all he had to do was say he was shot by thugs and he was back in everyone's good graces for being who he was in an elitist society.