01

She shook with anger and hatred, while tremors rippled through her as she hesitantly peered at him with glossy eyes

Startled was an understatement, the sight unfolding before her made her want to scream, to break free of the strong arms wrapped around her waist, keeping her firmly still. Although she wanted to make some sort of sound, she couldn't do that either, a hand was pressed against her lips and her lipstick had smudged his palm.

A moment passed by and they both watched the scenario unravel in the ballroom before them.

Sobs threatened to leave her as he directed a gun in the face of a person who was distraught and exhaling deeply.

The sound of the gun-shot was deafening.

Dragging her suitcase, with the sound of its wheels trailing behind her, Evalyn Gonzalez sucked in a deep breath and stared ahead at the sight before her.

Her family driver had just picked her up straight from the airport where she had landed by private plane and had now left her to the comfort of what was her home. He was the only reason she had managed to arrive discretely and so quietly.

Despite how long she had been away, Evalyn still remembered everything about the colossal structure which she'd once called home; the blue hydrangeas planted in the front yard, the soft humming of the wind chimes that reminded her of spring afternoons and even the texture of the gravely ground beneath her shoes as she walked up to the building.

No one occupied the house, which was a Classic Colonial home, yet the surrounding area was flooding with liveliness. Dunkley's finest residence was still in top-tip condition, despite the fact nobody was living here, friends of the family had tried to keep it together, as if they knew one day someone would return.

Hands caressing the pinewood door, Evalyn inhaled deeply and felt her jaw cripple with hurt —her mother should have been here for this. For her return. Yet, she had bolted the second turbulence hit, years ago on the one night both of them needed each other.

"Home sweet home." Evalyn softly whispered to herself as she entered the home, to be swept by a multitude of bittersweet memories and the faint fragrance of damp paint and mildew.

A moment passed by as she clung to her luggage and bag in one hand, while the other firmly grasped her cell phone, which started to vibrate rapidly.

It must have been Bella, Evalyn thought. She had been calling non stop since she had departed from Hawkshaw, and couldn't help but repeatedly warn Evalyn it was a grave mistake to return to Dunkley —without a plan and only a jaundiced agenda which possibly couldn't end well.

"Hey, I've arrived home." Evalyn said calmly, answering the phone.

"How do you feel?" Bella questioned in a concerned yet unpropitious tone. "You okay? You barely replied to my texts."