26

"I just wanted it all to be over you know?" Evalyn said quietly, her voice shaking, as she sunk deeper into Elijah's chest

"I just wanted it all to be over you know?" Evalyn said quietly, her voice shaking, as she sunk deeper into Elijah's chest.  "I wanted this to be the end of it. I really thought he would admit he was responsible for my father's death. That even if he had killed himself they were the ones who lead him to it."

"At least now you know, your mom played a bigger role in this, and she won't get away with her doing."

"I'm tired," Evalyn replied. "I don't want to do this anymore. I'm done."

Evalyn unlocked the door and let Daniel inside, Natalie hot on his trails. She stared at her back and narrowed her eyes, questioning why she was letting her into her home, that too at a time she was sensitive and vulnerable.

"Go make yourselves comfortable." Evalyn announced firmly.

Natalie whipped her head back, smug looking, "I could do with a coffee."

To her delight Daniel squeezed her hip and told her he would make her a coffee, which only made Evalyn want to throw up, but all she could do was glare.

"You have to relax, you're shooting knives at the poor thing." Bella sighed, though mockingly.

"She literally called you a bitch, for lack of better words." Evalyn pointed out, in a low tone as she fumbled around to text permission to security, sitting down on the porch swing, eyes wandering for sign of Elijah's familiar jeep at her open gates.

"Okay, fine. But we're better than her." Bella mused, "At least you are, I mean...I don't mind slapping her black and blue, till the botox drips out. Nothing wrong with getting cosmetic procedures, but you know what it's like to not like someone and have nothing else to pick on?"

Evalyn frowned a moment, and she found herself laughing heartily at Bella's joke.

"You know B, I'm not doing this for myself anymore." Evalyn quietly said, looking straight ahead.

"Doing what?" Bella replied, "Everything just seems to be getting messier. Your mom is involved, one way or another, she's on the other side somehow. Can't trust her."

"You're right, but I know that somebody is responsible, for both my father's death and even for what they did to you." Evalyn admitted, "I want justice for you too."

A sadness evaded Bella's eyes then, making them seem glossy with tears no doubt; she became dumbfounded with solace, "Thank you."

"Thank me when I have the people responsible thrown in jail." Evalyn simply said, putting an arm around her friend, just as she heard the sound of a vehicle approaching her gates.

"That must be Elijah," Evalyn announced, standing up. "Hang on."

"Are you sure it's best to get him involved? How well do you know him after all?" Bella enquired, with general concern, worried for her friend.