Hottest day ever!

Benny came to one of my softball tournaments, for the first time this summer. I've had two other tournaments with my team. Today was super hot, we had three games today. I played left field in the first two games, just standing out there, baking in the sun, getting sunburnt. I've been running back and forth in the outfield. I had a fan that I let me team use, it was a small portable fan that blew out cold air. I liked to hold it close to my face and make it look like that I am talking into it like a recorder. I was pitching the third game. It was my turn to hit , I haven't been hitting well today, they were all caught pop ups which lowered my confidence. I hit another pop up in the middle of the field, I jogged because they were probably gonna catch it but they dropped and I sprinted to first so I wouldn't get out. My coach yelled at me because I didn't run the whole way. I knew I should've ran all the way but they have been catching my balls all day. I started hyperventilating on base, I thought it was because I was just winded, with all of the running around. I just couldn't get the air to stay into my lungs and I started to get a headache. I kept running back and forth because of the pitches and the foul balls that were hit. Kendall hit a ball and I made it to third. I was going to slide but I haven't slid in such a long time that I just slid on my knees to third base, I was still safe though. My coach was laughing at me, I mean it was funny. "I haven't slid in such a long time." I told him, laughing.

"She said she hasn't slid in such a long time!" He said to all the parents and they laughed. That's the third time this year that I haven't slid, I dove to second base, and I have fallen on second base but I haven't slid yet. I made it home and sat down on the bench panting, I got my fan out to put some air back into my lungs but it wasn't working. My boyfriend Benny came over to me. "Nice job y/n, now you need to drink some water I can tell you are getting tired." Right as Benny said that we got a third out and I got my stuff. "Sorry Benny I can't, I will after this inning." I said getting my stuff.

"No, Y/n you need to drink water now."

"Benny, I promise I will after I just can't right now." I said and headed out onto the field. I was still panting which I found weird, I got to rest for like a second so I should've been good. Pitching was getting increasingly difficult by every pitch. My hands were so sweaty I couldn't grip the ball. I accidentally hit a batter which I haven't done in two years. My headache was getting worse and so was my breathing. My vision was getting a little blurry as well. The other team were playing long ball, they could tell I was getting tired, there was no way that I was going to make it to the end of the inning. We had two outs and the umpire was calling nothing for me, I just needed to get out of this inning and sit down. I pitched a ball right down the middle and the batter hit it to shallow right field. I started to see spots as I watched the ball. The ball dropped in front of our right fielder and it went back behind her to the fence, I couldn't take it anymore. My vision went black and I felt myself hit the ground.

Benny's POV

Y/n was getting super tired and I could see that, clearly nobody seemed worried about her though. Her coach didn't seem to notice that she was struggling to breathe. I told her to get some water but she wouldn't listen to me. She was struggling to pitch now, she actually hit a batter which she hasn't done in awhile, something must be wrong. The batter hit a ball to right field and in dropped in front of their fielder, I covered my head in my hands but then I heard everybody gasp. I looked up and saw y/n laying on the ground passed out, her teammates were surrounding her. Her parents started running over to her. I got up and ran to her as well. Nobody knew what was happening except for me.

"What happened?" Her coach asked.

"She had a heatstroke." I said. everybody looked at me. "What, how could you not see it, she was struggling to breathe and she was slowing down. She also was a little off balance but everybody was too worried about the game to tell." Y/n wasn't waking up, the team just looked at me a little offended but it was true, not even her parents knew that It was happening to her. I picked y/n up and carried her off of the field. I placed her in the shade and got out her fan. She started to come around a bit. "The ambulance is on their way." One of the parents said. I nodded my head at them as a thank you. "Somebody get her water bottle." I said, one her teammates came back and handed it to me. I poured some water into her mouth and she started to come around. "What? What happened?" She asked.

"Y/n you had a heatstroke." I said to her.

"I did?" I nodded.

"The ambulance is on there way." Her mom said.

"Ambulance I don't need an ambulance, I am fine." She started to get up but immediately fell down. "Yeah, I think the ambulance was a wise choice." The umpire decided to end the game right there and the game ended in a tie. The only reason that they didn't win was because y/n was having a heatstroke and was struggling to pitch. I kept giving her water until the ambulance arrived. The medics placed her on a stretcher and put her in their truck. Only two people were allowed in there and I'm assuming her parents want to be there with her. "Benny you can take my spot I can follow the ambulance to the hospital." Her dad said.

"Are you sure Mr. L/n?" He nodded.

"Yes, you care about my daughter a lot and I can see that, I think she would want you in the ambulance with her."

"Thank you so much sir." He nodded and I got into the ambulance. I took y/n's hand and gave it a squeeze. She faintly smiled. "I can't believe it took a heat stroke for my dad to finally be nice to you." I laughed and kissed her hand. Her mom just smiled at me and knew, that I was accepted into their family now.