Chapter II

We all stared at Ashley in her new form.

“Okay, this has never happened before.” Kiera said. Ashley, who now had a green tail covered with scales.

“What you do?” Adam asked her.

“Nothing, I all I did was touch the shell on the necklace.”

“The necklace.” I said, snapping my fingers. “Ashley, touch it again.”

“I don't see where you’re going with this but...” she said.

            She touched the shell and the magic awakened again. It once again faded and her tail disappeared, leaving her legs behind.

“Cool.” Fred said.

“It must have the ability to transform its wearer into a mermaid.” I said.

“Must be.” she agreed.

“Can we get out? I'm freezing.” Sarah said.

            We all got out and went to our fire pit. Fred gathered fire wood and kindle with Lamar. Tyler tried to light it with two rocks since we didn't have matches but couldn't get it lit.

“I quit!” he said, tossing the rocks down. “I can't get a spark!”

“Lemme try.” I said. I took the rocks and tapped them together and whispered. “Incenido.”

A spark came and the fire lit. I laughed successfully.

“What did you do?” Sarah asked.

“I started a fire.” I said.

“How?”

            I shrugged my shoulders and tapped the rocks. With the fire burning, we talked about what new video games were coming out and Ashley's party.

“It's weird.” Lamar said.

“What?” Kiera asked.

“History repeats. I mean we're like in the middle ages again right? But we have modern day things. Guns, video games, and iPods.”

“Like you said, history repeats itself.” I said.

            Ashley fumbled with the necklace. “I'm scared guys.” she said suddenly.

“'Bout what?” Kayla asked.

“The necklace, what if someone finds out?”

“That's why we're keeping it to ourselves.” I said.

“If we spilled she'd end up as a science experiment.”

“Thanks, Matthias.” she grumbled.

“About your mark, how'd  ya get it?” Sarah asked.

“Oh, not that Rider nonsense again, Matthias is no Rider. He got his mark from a band saw that went hay wire.” Liana said.

“Then how'd he get the fire started? Pure luck?”

“No, he just knows how to start a fire.”

“Yeah by saying 'Incenido'?”

“Huh?”

“Incenido, it means fire in the Magical Language.”

“Magical Language my foot.” I said. “I'm a pyromaniac.”

“Then I should lock you away, ya maniac.” Ashley joked.

“Oh, shut up.” I said.

The bell in the clock tower rang.

“Seven o' clock. One hour before the party.” Lamar said.

“See ya.” Adam said, running off.

“Yeah, see ya.” We all repeated and we ran off leaving the girls.

            I went to my house and changed into some clean clothes. I leaned against the wall and looked at my mark. It was true. I was a Rider. I had kept it a secret from my friends for ten years. The Riders before me had gotten into a war with the Royal Family. Every Rider was killed. One day in the woods when I was three, I had found what looked to be a green stone. Thinking it was cool, I brought it home. Then that night the stone hatched into a dragon. When I touched it, I got my mark. I kept being a Rider from Ashley in fear that it would destroy our friendship. We had been friends ever since I beat her in a swimming match. I walked out and headed for the castle.

“What's up, dog?” Tyler asked.

“Not much.” I said.

“Other than video games, nothing.”

“First or third person?” Adam asked as he came with Lamar. He was in a tuxedo and Lamar was in clothes for church.

“Dude, ya gettin' married? It's a birthday party, not a wedding.” I said.

“Ah, a royal party.” he said.

“Nah, he's just doin' it to impress Kayla.” Lamar said. We laughed at his explanation. We knew that Adam had a crush on Kayla.

“So anyway, FPS.” I said, using the acronym for First Person Shooter.

“Yeah,” Fred said, as he came. “The blood, the gore, the violence.”

“Come on guys. We're gonna miss all the good food.” Lamar said.

There was and never will be no arguing with Lamar's stomach. When he wanted food, he got food and no one was going to stand in his way of it.

“Okay, let's go.” I said. As we ran for the castle. We got some food and Tyler said. “Let's go find the girls.