Chapter VI

We celebrated by going to the arcade, which was inside the tavern. We had the arcade manager, Sean, give us play cards and we played everything from air hockey to rail-shooters. While Tyler and I were playing an old arcade shooting game, I overheard a hunter named Earl, or Crazy Earl as the village called him because he said things like he was a retired dare devil or a vampire hunter, but no one believed him due to his alcoholism.

“I'm telling the truth! I saw it. It was green, huge, no gigantic, and dripping with fire. I told the King about it. Maybe it was a manticore or a dragon. Yeah! That's what it is! It's a dragon! Either that or it's some kind of unidentified beast.”

“Unidentified? Knowing you, Earl, I'd say it was either whiskey or beer.” another hunter said.

Then they burst out laughing. I knew they were talking about my dragon.

“Hey.” I called to them. “I saw it, too.”

They looked at me and the leader said. “I rest my case.” and they laughed again.

“Ah.” I turned away and returned to the game.

“Why'd you do that?” Tyler asked.

“Hey, someone's gotta stand up for the kooks, man. If I won't who will? Besides I didn't really see anything, you know that.”

“You don't need to stand for them. Let the kooks stand up for the kooks. Plus don't stand for Crazy Earl. He thinks he saw a dragon.” he said.

“Like the crime lord?” I asked.

“Well, yeah. Man, I still can't believe that he thought you were a Rider. First him and now Crazy Earl.” “Don't forget Sarah. She thinks I'm a Rider.” I said.

“Yeah, but she didn't mention a dragon.” he said as I contacted my dragon.

What do you need?

I thought I told you to stay outta sight.

I landed for a drink and the hunter caught me. I had to cut down and burn many trees to get away. I'm sorry.

Don't worry about the hunter who saw you, his friends think he was drunk and delusional. I'll contact you before I go to sleep tonight.

I broke the connection to our minds and concentrated on the game. After two hours most of us had left, leaving Ashley and I alone in the arcade.

“You wanna play air hockey?” she asked.

“Yeah sure, sure.” I said.

I started up the game and we began playing.

“What's it feel like?” I asked as I scored.

“Shoot! It feels like a tight blanket around you, your legs are fused together, and your feet are flattened.” she said.

“Nothing else?” I asked.

“Nope.” she said and she scored on me.

“Dang it!” I shouted.

I took out the puck and shot it back to her. She had no time to react. It went in her goal.

“That's not fair, you’re a lot stronger than me.” she complained. I flexed my right bicep.

“Don't know my own strength.” I gloated.

“Oh, you're done.” she said, narrowing her deep brown eyes at me. She took the puck out and we engaged in hitting it a hard as we could. Then it disappeared.

“Where'd it go?” I asked.

“I don't know.” she said.

She ducked down and came back up.