Chapter III

“Uh-oh, jerk alert!” I said as we saw our rival gang: Javion, Ah-Mel, and Lucy.

“Right back at you.” Ah-Mel said. We all held up our middle fingers. Javion lunged at me, pressed me against the wall and held a knife to the hollow base of my throat.

“If we weren't surrounded by witnesses, I'd kill you right now.” he said.

“And.” I heard Ashley's voice. “If you killed him, I'd lock you away for the rest of your life.”

“Oh, that's harsh. Guys, Javion got served.” Tyler said then they and Ashley's handmaidens laughed.

            Javion turned to them and they stopped laughing. They all were a little frightened of them. Sarah was still laughing, but then stopped when she caught onto what was going on. Javion then turned to Ashley, who was giving her “I'm serious” look, and then back to me. “You better watch your back 'cause one day the princess ain't gonna be there to save ya.” he said, releasing his knife.

“Yeah, right back at ya.” I growled.

He and his posse turned to leave and Lamar said. “Yeah, get your punk selves on outta here.”

“Ya alright, Rider?” Sarah asked.

“Yeah, and don't call me Rider.” I said.

“Your dad would have made a better guard.” she said.

Javion was a captain in the castle guard and took his job very seriously, even if it meant tormenting me. He always bullied me when I was little, but when I gained confidence in my Rider powers, I finally stood up to him.

“You can say that again. Too bad he was killed.” Adam said.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing.” he said quickly.

I then walked away to get some soda. As I did, I heard Tyler scold Adam for mentioning my dad.

"Man, you know he doesn't like hearing about his dad's death. Why you do that?" he asked, slapping Adam behind the head.

"Yeah, Adam what were you thinking?" Fred added.

"I...wasn't thinking." Adam responded.

"Adam, can you please rally every cell in that brain of yours and try not to mention it again?" Kayla asked him.

"I'll try, but..."

"There is no try, Adam. You will." Lamar told him.

"Why? What happened to his dad?" Sarah asked.

"He doesn't like to talk about it." Liana explained to her.

"C'mon. Ashley what happened to his dad?"

"He was killed long ago." Ashley said.

            I came back with ten root beers. We opened them, Ashley said “Cheers.” and we clinked bottles.

“Looking good, Adam.” Kayla said.

Adam's cheeks turned a light red when she said that.

“Hey, whatta 'bout us?” Fred asked.

“Eh, you guys... look okay.”

“Shut up, Kayla.”  Lamar said.

            I studied the girls and they were all in blue or purple dresses except Ashley, who was in a white strapless dress. She had her long brown hair hanging free to her waist.

“You shut up, Lamar.”

“Look who's talking.” I said.

            She swung her arm at me and I ducked and leg swept her. She fell and I caught her wrist.