Chapter XIII

“Did you really think you could escape from us?” he asked, as he drew Terris.

“We're stronger now that we have a hundred and ten.” Adam said.

“I have over ten thousand.” he said.

Then there were screams as most of his men were killed by Vanilor's stream of green fire. Only a few remained but they ran favoring their lives.

“Now it's one hundred and eleven to one.” Vanilor said.

“Two to a hundred and eleven.” Ashley's uncle said. He jumped down from a hidden chair in the ceiling from where he was watching us.

“A Warlock, an apprentice, and a Dragon Rider. Who will win?” he asked.

            Then Javion let out a grunt of pain. Vanilor's tail spike had pierced through his chest. Javion looked at the bloodied tail as it was pulled back. He then died and dropped Terris.

“Sucker.” Adam said in a sing-song voice.

I smiled and said “One down, one to go.”

“We will see.” Then he pulled out a glass vial and threw it down. I didn't sense sleeping gas this time. It was more of a smoke screen. When it cleared Ashley was gone and so was her uncle. The ship was in the air and flying away. I could hear Ashley calling my name. I picked up, sheathed Terris, looped it around my waist, got on the saddle and said.

“Tyler, Sarah, you guys are in charge while I am gone.” as Vanilor took off.

He beat his wings with fury and quickly picked up speed. Through the rain I could see the lord was chaining Ashley to a stone table. He pulled out a knife and held it above her heart.

“Matthias!” she shouted in the echoing voice from the first dream I had of her death.

“Frangere!” I barked.

            The knife shattered and I jumped off the saddle with Terris in my hand. I landed feet first and the wood cracked as it met my leather boots. I was surprised the rain didn’t cause me to slip.

“You are one impressive Rider.” the lord said.

            He drew a long silver bladed sword and pushed a button on the guard. Nasty-looking, jagged spikes popped out along the sides of the blade.

“Impulsus!” I shouted.

            He flew back, losing his sword and I started to unchain Ashley.

“One minute I'm free and the next, more chains locked onto me.” she said.

“Well, let's face it you are the damsel in distress.” I teased her.

The chains finally came undone, slid down, and she got off the table.

“You!” the lord said. He came up the stairs toward us. “You're in the way, just like your Rider father! You really wanted to be a part of the Riders, didn't you?”

“The Riders are all I have left.”  I said.

“Then why save this girl?”

“Because she is the heir and the only thing that you will be to the kingdom is a tyrant and a murderer.” I accused him.

“Well, well, well, you're dying to be like your father, aren't you?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Well, how about I help you out!” he roared as he pulled out a small crossbow and aimed it at me.