Chapter VIII

I looked at the Rider armor through the glass sealed cabinet. It was rippled in a scale design like dragon scales. The Rider swords were placed in the back of the cabinet, behind the armor. I wouldn't need one of them. I had a sword of my own. It had a hand and a half long handle with an emerald in the pommel. The blade was two thumbs wide and was emerald green, the same color as my dragon, made for blocking, slashing, jabbing, and cutting. It was given to me when I completed my training.

“So, you're a magician?” I heard Ashley ask as she came to me.

Magician? I thought. What's she talking about? Then I remembered my lie about me being a magician. “Yeah.” I said.

“So, Sarah was wrong to think you were a  Rider. But I think you still are and your just telling us you’re a magician to cover for your dragon. You do carry the Draco Notem as she pointed out.. Even if you are a magician, why are you looking at the Rider armor?”

“If that guy wants a Rider, I'll give 'im a Rider.” I said.

She turned to me “You’re not saying...”

I nodded. The next thing I knew was she was in my arms and cried softly.

“Don't face him. You could die.”

“I have to face him. It's my duty and I don't want you to be at his mercy like in my dreams. Get your handmaidens and met me and the guys at the water hole at ten o'clock.”  I told her as I left her to think about what I said.

            I went to the arcade and played a fencing game. I easily beat it. I tried to spin the sword but the connecting wire prevented me from doing it. I put the sword into its holder and I saw Melody.

“We need to talk.” I said to her.

            We went to the back room and she sat in her usual spot. I remained standing.

“How did you do our fortunes?” I asked.

“That would be like me asking you how the dragon hatched for you.”

“You know? How...are you a witch?” I asked.

“No.” she said and she pulled back her hair revealing pointed ears.

She was an elf. Her race was one that was immortal like the Riders and was very loyal to them. She looked like a woman in her twenties, but she could have been much older.

“I was sent here to find the new Rider. I didn't expect him to be so... young.”

“I am thirteen.” I protested.

“Is your dragon safe and are you trained?”

“He lives in the forest. He's safe from the hunters and yes, I was trained by elves, dwarfs, and spirits of other Riders.”

“Good.” she then chuckled and said “It's been almost two centuries since the last Rider lived. Dad always has a way in his riding skills with his dragon.”

“Your father?” I asked confused.

“Yes, my father was a Rider.”

“Riders aren't supposed to marry. He broke the Code. What happened to him?”

“Nothing. He married my mother in secret. Then I came along. He died in battle during the war between them and the Royal Family.” she stopped and wiped her wet eyes. “Now, let's talk about you. Your dragon is safe, I know that. But what about the other eggs?”

“The other eggs?” I asked.

“Yes, you have one of the last five dragon eggs. They are elemental. What color is your dragon?” “Green. Emerald green.”