Chapter XIV

“Well, it's been nice knowing you guys. We're screwed.” Lamar said.

“Probably be jailed forever.” Adam grumbled.

“Yeah, we are defiantly getting jailed.” Fred said.

            The guards came closer and Ashley shouted “Stop! Don't arrest them. They saved me!”

The guards stopped and bowed to her.

“Matthias!” I heard my mother yell. She came in front of the guards with the rest of our parents. They were under the cover of umbrellas from the rain as they came to us.

“Like I said, we're screwed.” Lamar repeated.

“Maybe not getting jailed forever, but we are getting grounded forever.” Adam said.

            We all started to get worried as our parents came over. My mother then hugged me.

“Well, done my son.” She told me.

“You're not mad?” Adam asked, confused.

“Not at all.” His mother explained. “Matthias' mother told us she married a Rider and she suspected her son was a Rider, even before Vanilor showed.”

“I thought that was an egg fragment in your room.” Mom said.

“Missed one, didn't I?” I asked.

“You did.”

“And why didn’t you tell me you married a Dragon Rider?”

“He didn’t want to you to join that life, but I see that it didn’t help.”

“No it didn’t. It looks like you’re going to rebuild your father’s Order now.”

“Yes, I plan to rebuild the Riders. If that's alright with you, Ashley.”

“That's fine. Just don't betray us like last time.”

“Betray you? The Royal Family was the one who declared war on the Riders, ya fish.” I argued.

“Hey, I was just kidding and I think I should tell the whole kingdom that I am Oceana, not you.” she said.

“Oh sure announce to the kingdom that you can grow a tail, that’ll bring the crazies here.” Kayla cynically said.

“Yeah, I can see the headlines right about now.” Tyler said.

“Wait, wait. You kids made up the whole Oceana thing? And it was really Ashley in the form of a mermaid?” Tyler's mother asked.

We all looked at each other and answered in unison.

“Yes.”

“So we need to train to become Riders?” Fred asked.

“Yeah, but it's well worth it. You saw what I did to Ashley's uncle, didn’t you?”

“No we didn't, but we did see you set your sword on fire. Was that really necessary?” Sarah asked.

“Necessary? No, it was fun.” I said.

“You went all out.” Adam said.

“I really did.” I agreed.

“Can you teach us that in the training, man?” Tyler asked.

“Yeah. The training itself shouldn't take long. A few months or so. But first I think your dragons need to learn how to fly.” I said.

“Think again.” Vanilor exclaimed.

There were four small dragons in the sky. They dove down and landed by Vanilor like kittens going to their mother.