Chapter 23

After they had explained what had transpired from the point of Kaiyo and Anna getting kidnapped and to how Kaiyo was transported to the hospital to undergo operation, Rimu was on the verge of wailing on the spot, but he tried his hardest to hold them back. His lips quivered and his hands shook even after clenching his pants to keep them from trembling.

It was hard trying to get Rimu to speak about his and Kaiyo's father. He then explained that their father was currently on a business trip. It was understandable that the two siblings didn't want to disturb their father as he work, but it doesn't explain the reason about not telling him about Kaiyo being admitted to the hospital.

After speaking to the little boy for a while, they found out that the two of them had lost their mother to a car accident.

Kusanagi had an inkling feeling that there was something wrong. Even Anna said that there was something that's preventing Rimu and Kaiyo from telling their father about the situation. There's something blocking her from reading into their thoughts whenever she tried to by using her ability.

 There's something blocking her from reading into their thoughts whenever she tried to by using her ability

--It's like they have a wall in both of their hearts and minds.

Anna glanced between Rimu and Sakura. A thought flashed through her mind and she lifted the marble in her hand. She looked through it towards the female sitting beside the boy.

Looking into her thoughts she saw the brief image of people screaming and a bottle flying through the air before it vanished. The next scene was a scene where Kaiyo came running towards her—Sakura—and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her tightly.

Anna pulled the marble away from her eyes when the scene ended since Sakura's attention was taken away from her thoughts and memories when Rimu called her name.

Mikoto saw the conflicted expression on Anna and questioned her. "Did you see something?"

Anna thought about it before shaking her head. "It was nothing."

Mikoto knew she was lying but left it at that.

Looking at the tired Rimu, Kuanagi sighed out softly and thought it was best to leave it as it was.

"I apologise," Kusanagi said, taking the boy's attention to him. "for... interrogating you like this on and on. It wasn't my business to butt in."

Rimu stared at him before shaking his head, indicating that he didn't mind it. Rimu actually expected those questions to be asked for him. He knew they wanted answers, but Rimu didn't want to tell anyone because he promised Kaiyo. Sakura kept mum as well, in respect for Kaiyo and Rimu. It's not her place to say anything.

Just then, someone approached their group who were sitting by the tables. It was the doctor who talked to Kusanagi and Anna right outside the operating room.

"She's stable now." The doctor said. "My boss said you can visit her now. She's in the hospital class A wing. I can bring you there if you would like."