Chapter 44

Hands holding onto a cup of hot chocolate, the warmth of the drink that spread from the sides of the cup to the palm brought a sense of comfort to the holder's stiffness—both physically and mentally.

Taking in a deep breath and heaving out a quiet sigh out their mouth, the pair of dark eyes gaze at the cup and the wisp of steaming hot mist floating off from the surface of the hot chocolate.

"It was a few years ago, in this same month, that I first met them." A soft voice spoke in the large hall occupied by only a few people who all sat by the front bar countertop table. "That day, it was snowing as well. The air was cold and dry, and the moon was hidden behind a curtain of clouds."

A pair of dark eyes were staring at the book held in their hands

A pair of dark eyes were staring at the book held in their hands. They couldn't sleep and thus chose to take a book to read and pass the time. Having finished reading the current chapter, the eyes moved away from the printed words on the papers of the book and looked out from the window; watching the white snowflakes falling from the skies.

--But only in the person's eyes, do they have a view of something else entirely.

"Kaiyo."

The person whose name was called turned their head over in the direction of the voice and saw a man. Acknowledging the man's presence, they slid off the couch quickly and bowed their head in greeting. "Father," a young voice left the lips of the person. When the head of the person lifted, it showed the face of a younger Kaiyo. Taking in a breath to keep her composure, she asked, "Is there something you need me to do?"

He instructed her to change into proper clothing for the winter weather closer to the time of midnight but didn't give the reason for doing so. "You're coming with me today," he said plainly and walked over to take a seat on the other couch facing the head of the living room; beside the one she was sitting on.

Kaiyo's eyes widened. She knew where he was going today. But why was he calling her as well? The fear and anxiety that she kept within herself started surfacing on her face. Her feet were planted on the ground.

Seeing the look on her face did not faze nor change his mind. Eyes sharp, he only said a statement that made Kaiyo decide to follow him ultimately without complaints.

"It's either you or that child."

Before leaving the house, Kaiyo cast a look towards the closed door of her shared room. The younger Rimu was currently sound asleep inside; tucked under layers of blankets.

Hands clutched into fists by her sides, she pulled her gaze from the door and closed the doors of the house behind her, locking it.

The streets were quiet and not many humans nor cars were present or seen. It was too late into the night for people to roam around. With the weather being cold and snowing, everyone was hiding in the warmth of their houses.