Chapter 18

"Once we get back the reigns, we will rule back the area." The leader said, his tone haughty and disdainful.

His words struck a chord in Kaiyo and her eyes fell upon the floor. The fringe of her hair covered over her eyes, casting a shadow upon them when her head was tilted forward slightly.

"They don't have the rights to rule the area. They don't know the right way. We do. We rule the area. Not them. We—"

"By killing more people and instilling fear so that no one could touch you people?" Kaiyo cuts in. Her eyes were shadowed over by her bangs, covering her expression from people. Anna looked over at the ravenette when she felt the emotions of embitterment from her. Her emotions were fluctuating, which was worrying her—Anna.

"You know us well." The leader snickered to himself, "Let me give you a chance. Come join us instead. I'm sure you have some extraordinary powers as well—"

"Killing people..." Kaiyo interrupted the leader once again. He sucked in a deep breath, feeling very much annoyed for getting cut off every single time while he spoke. He opened his mouth to yell at Kaiyo to know her place, but her next few words made him pause on his breath.

"The line between life and death..." Kaiyo gritted her teeth together. Her hands that were tied behind her back clenched into fists. Emotions of anger left her in waves. Anna felt stifled by them from standing by her side. "What makes you think you can make the righteous decision on who lives or who dies? Do you think you're God or a Shinigami? Do you think you guys have the rights to determine the lives of humans as if you're a King? Does killing people help justify anything?!"

"Of course it does."

Kaiyo lifted her head and revealed her expression. With glazed over, dark-filled eyes, she glared daggers at the leader sitting nonchalantly on his make-shift chair. "You're no different from being a cold-blooded murderer! The whole lot of you!"

The leader raised a brow and snorted. "We aren't murderers. We will do many things to keep stay alive."

"Then, what's the point of kidnapping us? Just let us go!"

"Killing is one thing, but it is a different thing if it involves HOMRA. For pushing us into the ground, we have to show who is the stronger one. Who the actual one who should be the one leading."

"That is sick! Everything just so you could stay number one. Using people's weaknesses and striking behind their backs."

"They are called tactics, girl." The leader laughed.

"It's no laughing matter. The thin line between life and death these days. If someone is given that right to decide on that, that right will become an authority, and that authority..." Kaiyo paused, her voice dropped a tone down colder, "...will become corrupted and abused."