Chapter 17

Pain throbbed occasionally on Kaiyo's left arm when she woke up from the dreamless state of unconsciousness. A groan left her lips in a way to calm the stabbing headache that felt as if a hammer was hitting on her skull—not that it does any good. It was just a human instinct reaction to the pain she was feeling.

Her face scrunched into a frown as she was brought back to reality. She was laying on her right side. Eyes fluttering open, the first thing she saw was a few boxes of crates stacked upon each other by the wall a few meters in front of her.

She moved her right arm only to realise that it was bounded to her back tied with her other arm with a rope by the wrists. The jagged and rough edges of the rope dug into the surface of her skin, making them irritated.

Letting out a breath of air from her mouth, she tilted her head to a side to look around her surroundings. Something caught her attention and her expression turned into a panic-stricken face.

Her necklace was gone. Usually, when she moved her head, she would feel the smooth grating of the chain against the skin of her neck. But now she felt nothing.

'Did the kidnappers take it? Where is it?! Or did it slip off? I hope it's not in the hands of strangers.'

Her name was called and it took her attention away. She turned her body to the left, trying not to lie onto her left arm when she did so.

The familiar sight of a face left her speechless and the memory of the incident that had happened crashed over her as if someone had splashed a bucket of water to her face. Horror crossed her features. "Anna-chan." The name left her lips in a low whisper.

Fear could be seen evident in Anna's eyes, and within them was a twinge of hope when she saw that Kaiyo had woken up. She rose from her sitting position and sat down beside Kaiyo.

"Kaiyo, you're awake," she said.

Kaiyo pushed herself off from the ground as best as she could with her hands tied to her back. A wince left her lips when she strained her left arm. Having to be in a sitting position, she shifted her arm a bit; noticing that the bruise that was healing had turned from the pale yellowish-brown into a darker shade of bluish-black and red mixture. She made a tsk sound as a reaction to the sight. It would take a while more to heal. Moving her arm and exerting her bicep muscle causes pain to throb slightly.

Seeing the troubled look on her face, Anna asked meekly, "Are you okay?"

Kaiyo shifted her gaze from her arm and onto the white-haired female. She was worried for her.

A reassuring smile spread across Kaiyo's lips. "I'm fine. Don't worry. It takes more than this to bring me down." She replied. She didn't want her to worry about her but about the situation currently at hand. "Where are we?" Kaiyo asked. Her eyes glanced around the room. The dim light on the ceiling and the sunlight drifting into the room from the right side of the wall were the only sources of light in the room. The only things kept in the room was the boxes of wooden crates. A metal door leads to the exit but even without even guessing or checking, one knows it would be locked.

"I'm not sure... When I woke up, we were already locked in here." Anna replied.

"There's nothing here we can use to cut the rope off." Kaiyo looked around the room once more before sighing out in mere dismay and uneasiness. She was afraid that their kidnappers might appear anytime soon while they were planning some sort of escape. "I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it would actually work. The walls are too smooth, and it would take a long time."