Fifty Three: Constellation Without Stars

The entire League and Team are here. It's time for us to do this. Just as Nabu raises his hands, M'gann appears in front of me.

"Hana! I found these in my jewellery box," she says, holding out her palms. A set of familiar earrings lay there. They bring up a memory in my head.

I put on these cute earrings that light up, for my first date with Robin.

When I enter the lounge, Artemis and M'gann converge on me, saying I look adorable. I feel a little more confident, but also nervous like crazy!

 Just as I am about to walk out the door, Wally calls out to me. 

“You look like a Christmas tree.” And that’s pretty much when I go into shock.

I look like a Christmas tree. Of course I do. Light-up earrings, green and red Christmas colours, bows, diamonties. Wally is right.

I repeated this out loud and collapse on the sofa beside Superboy with my head in my hands. M'gann tries to console me as Artemis slaps and scolds Wally.

"Wally told me I looked like a Christmas tree when I wore them..." I say. M'gann nods sadly. The Team and a few of the League are paying attention to the story.

"You were warned, Sparkling One."

My hands burn worse than ever. All attention turns to me. My gloves recede and reveal the words scribbled across my palms.

"Hana. What does this mean?" Batman asks.

Everyone goes silent, waiting for my answer.

Thunder rumbles, which is shocking because we're in space. The truth is clear as a blackened blue colour begins spreading across my hands and arms.

"She's taking over..." I whisper. "She's taking over!" I shout again. A surge of energy starts at my shoulder and travels down my right arm.

When I realize its exact target, I freak. "No! Don't!" I begin screaming, but a burst of energy ignites from my ring finger.

"I'm sorry!" I say to my hand. My Emerald Star ring cracks, burns and then explodes. I stare at it. Just as Nightwing goes to say something, I look up at Doctor Fate.

"It's now or never!" I say. When he waves his hand everyone freezes.

Inside me is a legitimate cold feeling. It builds in the pit of my stomach. It's her; it's Midnight, breaking free. Wally's death is the final check-mate in her game.

"I know...you can all hear me," I say. They may be frozen, but they are not unconscious. Fate and Siren weave through the statues to me.

An in particular stinging pain stabs through my head. It makes me scream and grasp my hair in agony. "Star! You need to-"

 "I know!" I yell back at Siren.

The pain of having an entity trying to break free is excruciating. I take a deep breath that makes my ribs ache and begin singing the spell.