Thirty Six: At Fault

Jaime jumps as his phone begins ringing in his back pocket. He take it out and sees Daphne’s ID. The four runaways he and Red Butterfly accompany stop to listen.

‘Don’t answer it! Daphne will go crazy if she knows Red’s here!’ Jaime yells to the Scarab.

‘I do not care of the hostility your girlfriend will experience at the notification of the Red Butterfly’s presence,’ Scarab replies.

Yet, Scarab knows that Viper will become suspicious if he -Jaime- does not answer. Jaime always answers. He signals Hazel to stay quiet.

“Hey babe,” he begins. Is that not what he calls her?

‘Don’t call my girlfriend babe!’

“Hey…um, Jaime? Can you repeat to me the exact promise you made to me a few days ago?” She begins. This was a rare tone she used.

‘I sense hostile intent in the Viper’s voice…’ Scarab notes.

“I promised you Red Butterfly and I would not go on missions alone together anymore,” Scarab recalls.

“So, you promise you two haven’t been on any missions together?” Now there is sadness in her voice. Jaime knows something is up.

“I promise she’s not with me now and hasn’t been for the past few missions,” Scarab grinned at his confidence. He had her now.

“Oh really?” Her tone turns patriotic, only this time not only does it come through the phone, but from behind him as well.

Turning around, the group discover Viper standing on the back of Phoenix, who is disguised as a giant bat. Swiftchick and Laurel Destiny peek out from behind her.

She then steps off of Phoenix and stalks towards Jaime, glaring through her mask.

“So you broke your promise and then lied about it!” She yells. Her glare turns on Red Butterfly, who backs away in fear, knowing Viper can easily cast poison in-between her skin and suit.

“I-I swear Viper, Nightwing made me go wi-“

“No, he didn’t,” Laurel Destiny interrupts Red Butterfly. “Emerald Star told Blue to go. She knows about Blue’s promise to Viper. Says here you’re off duty, Red.”

That is when Red Butterfly drops the act. “Jaime asked me to go with him, Viper. It’s not my fault he’d rather have my company than you-AHH!”

The girl’s snide comment turns into a scream as she grabs her hand. The red armour disappears to reveal her skin, red and covered in boils.

“Viper!” Swiftchick shrills, speeding to her friend’s side and taking her arm forcefully.

“We’re all on the same team here guys,” Laurel Destiny reasons. “We have to go. Nightwing thinks we’re investigating.”