Thirty Five: Recognized

At the start of the morning, I had a coffee in my hand, sitting in front of the computer. I tried, once again, to track M'gann like I had been doing the past couple of days.

I failed as I expected, so I decided to go and pick up the clothes from the ball last night that were on the floor...on the floor in the living room...and the kitchen...and down the hall way...

Everything was fine until I found my gorgeous gown on the tiled kitchen floor...with a rip down the side.

"Richard John Grayson!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

"What?" Is his muffled reply.

I stomp down the hallway and throw the bedroom door open. He's naked but covered by a sheet. His face is squashed into the pillow.

My eyes are wide with anger as I stare at him from the side of the bed. He nearly jumps out of his skin when he looks up at me.

"What is it Han?" He asks tiredly. The he notices the gown. "Oh..." He mumbles, before his expression breaks into a grin. I pick up my pillow and whack him with it.

"This isn't funny!" I exclaim.

"C'mon. It was only a couple of thousand- no dent in our paycheck. Not like you were going to wear it again..." he says, turning over. "If you want you can put it on again, but you should know I plan on taking it off straight after."

I don't know what to reply to that. I grab some clothes, take a shower -he tries to get in but I had locked the door- and then leave to cook breakfast for the boys.

When I get to the warehouse I cook pancakes. I think all three; Garr, Mal and Conner, can sense I am...angry. That's around when Jaime shows up.

"Hey Hana," he greets, his uniform receding.

"Hello Jaime, would you like some pancakes?"

"No thanks...I uh, I need to talk to you if that's okay."

I invite him to take a seat with me on the edge of the pier. He sighs and looks stuck on how to start. I have a feeling I know what this is about.

"It's B'arzz, right?" I ask. He looks surprised for a moment, before sighing again and nodding.

"He says he can silence the Scarab."

"And you don't believe him?"

"It's...something like that."

"So why are you asking me?" I smile. He laughs slightly

"You kow better than anyone about having an uh...'inner-demon'. I'd love to silence the Scarab; between its disregard for human life during battle and the certain 'things' it says about Daphne, I've never wanted peace more. Only...I don't see how B'arzz O'oomm benefits from helping me."

"I see. You want to know why he's so willing to help," I say. He nods. "I'll be honest, Jaime. Any time I've been approached about Midnight, it's been people who want to use her power for their own evil purpose."