Thirty Three: Keeping Peace

“It is you,” I smile when I portal to the Kent’s barn.

“Ah, Emerald Star. A pleasure to see you,” Green Beetle smiles, walking over to me.

“You two know each other?” Jaime asks.

“Yes. It was on a mission to Mars,” I say.

“Emerald Star saved my life on many occasions. I am in great debt to you.” I continue talking to Green Beetle until Daphne and Misty manage to catch my attention. 

“What is it?” I ask when I reach them.

“We lied to Nightwing like you asked. Said we found nothing.”

“So what did you actually find?”

They look past me. I turn to see Superboy and Nightwing watching the interaction curiously. I open a portal and jump through with them, landing in the apartment.

I collapse on the couch, exhausted from using so much magic.

“What we found, was exactly what was thought to be in there. Storage. It was literally full of crap LexCorp were using. But then…” Daphne starts.

“We found something else. An orange liquid. At first I thought it was just more genetic-enhancing water. But it wasn’t,” Misty continues. “My ring identified it as a product of deoxyribonucleic acid and cells.”

“Blood…” I conclude.

“Yeah, blood.”

“Of Alien origin?”

“Actually, I don’t think so.”

She hands me a vile. I go into the office with them following. In one corner is a small lab, so I begin analysing the liquid further.

“Are you and Nightwing having a fight?” Misty asks curiously.

“He doesn’t know it yet,” I answer.

“You ignored him. He does now,” Daphne says.

The analysis screening beeps and turns red. A file opens on a villain named The Creator. I read the information to Daphne and Misty, not only for their benefit but for whoever else is listening.

The Creator, AKA Blanston Vonschneider uses genetically enhanced paraphernalia to manipulate the abilities in animals to make them his own weapons.

“So he’s looking for the meta-gene in animals?” Misty asks.

“Do animals have meta-genes?” Daphne wonders.

“Aren’t you supposed to be the smart one Daph?” Mist smirks.

“I’m a mathlete, not a science nerd,” is her reply.

“You’re a social anomaly. An acrobatic cheerleader who is also on the mathletes team and the athletics team, gets regular detentions but is an honour student and is her grade’s valedictorian.”