Forty Four: Companionship

"I don't understand. Why do you want me to take her?" I ask Kariana. The woman who has been teaching me for the past two weeks stares down at me through her black sun glasses.

"Well, I may as well tell you. You see, I have been offered a place on the Justice League by Captain Atom. I decided to take it."

"Congratulations, but you don't think you'll have time for Dusk or Twilight?" I ask, hitting more tree targets with Midnight mana.

"Dusk, I've never had time for. That girl is far too troubled to be a protege of mine. Plus, she's been running with a femme fatal gang lately known as the Black Widows. Don't need any of that around."

"And...Twilight?"

"Valentine, Hana. Her name is Valentine Rein. That girl as I have told you, has potential. She is but thirteen years of age at the moment. Her parents are long gone. I have put her up in my house for too long," she explains.

"What do you want me to do about it?" She looks at me skeptically for a moment.

"Nabu has told me all about your co-ops team. Is there a place for Val there?"

"Perhaps, but I'll need to know where her skill level lies."

"Her physical combat could be worked on. She's too gentle, see."

I nod, understanding. Just like Swiftchick.

"Will you remain her protege?"

"Of course. I'll just be much busier now, and she needs something to do."

I sigh, then agree. "I'll talk to Nightwing about it."

"Perfect. Now, I have a technique of ancient song that I would like to show you." She stands facing me in the clearing of her little forest. 

"Laever nihtiw em eht tsegnorts fo eht ssertsgnos sarua. Tfig em eht tirips fo eht paerg dna ythgim sseddog!" She chants, possibly the longest spell I have ever heard.

Black circles and patterns appear on her arms, legs, neck and jaw line like tattoos. Her eyes glow with gold light. I had wondered about Kariana's mana. It is a sparkling gold colour.

She remains flying in the air. "I now have full potential. Heightened senses, complete control over my mana, telekinesis, invincibility."

It's almost as if she calms down, to a point. The tattoos vanish and the gold glow leaves her eyes and body. She looks quite drained after that.

"It will take a lot out of you though," she says, sitting down.

"What is it exactly?" I ask as she writes out the words for me.

"The final form of a songstress."

"Why do I need it? How does it differ from how I am now?"

She turns to face me. "It may be the form that contains Midnight. Or...the form that out does Karion Bleak." She gives me a pointed look, before going inside.