Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter thirty-one

            “Micah, I had my first nosebleed…” I said as I sat next to him on a bench outside of school.

            “Congrats! You’re one of us now!” Micah said giving me a pat on the back out of good fun. I scowled at him showing I was serious, but he didn’t care. I turned away from him and hugged my shoulders in the cold as I waited for Declan’s sister to come pick us up. “You’re fine, it’s only the first one. It’s not like you’re walking around town at night without recollection yet.” He said.

            “Will that happen?” I asked.

            “Only if you’re close to death.” Micah assured me. I rolled my eyes. I read that that was a part of the obsession. It was a fatal symptom when things began getting bad. I remembered how Lucas had begun to do that before he had…been killed. I knew that Slenderman would always be two steps ahead of us, but as long as we weren’t too far behind, we would live longer than most.

            The car approached and Declan was in the passenger seat. Micah and I piled in the back. “So you want me to drop you off in the middle of nowhere and not tell mom?” Sylvia asked Declan.

            “Yeah, pretty much.” He replied.       

            “You owe me. I’ll get you at six. Honestly I don’t know how you can stand running around with these boys, Cease.” Sylvia groaned. I smiled. We drove out down the back road of town until Micah instructed her to pull to the shoulder to let us out. “Here?” She asked in confusion.

            “Yup.” Declan said. We got out of the car and crossed the street. The road was covered in woods on both sides. Micah saluted her and she drove away. He unzipped his bag along with Declan and they both retrieved their radiation detectors. Micah handed me one as well.

            “Thanks.” I said following them into the woods. The woods were not as thick as I suspected them to be. We passed through them quickly coming out the other side into a field. I could see clearly that amidst the field was an abandoned building of some kind and a lot of junk cars were littering the field. “What is this place?” I asked.

            “This used to be a warehouse for some company until they moved towns. It’s been abandoned for years now. I heard from Gregory there’s been some people being picked up on the side of the road along here and we’re suspecting there’s a lot of Slendy activity coming from this building. We’re going to check it out and see if we can get into the ark.” Micah said.

            “But school starts back Monday.” I said.

            “Good we might get out of school for the week depending how long we’re in there.” Declan said with an amused smile. I smiled and rolled my eyes keeping pace with Micah. We checked the junk cars. They had some old cassette tapes in them, litter, and one had a pair of hanging dice from the window. “This stuff is ancient.” Declan said holding up an old eighties magazine he pulled from an old charger.

            “Yeah there’s an old saxophone in the back of this baby.” Micah said slamming the trunk shut of another rusty car.

            “Oh shit man, come here!” Declan said. Micah and I jogged over to him as the tall grass swayed and spluttered up seeds with each stride. Declan pulled out of the window frame of the car and in his hands showed a VHS tape marked with the operator symbol.