Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I didn’t sleep last night. Not at all. Not even a little. My light was on all night, and my cat was in my bed. Everywhere I looked I was searching for something lurking, waiting, and watching. My hands were in my pockets of my basketball shorts. Today was going to be a long day. My Halloween party was tonight. I went into the living room and Fleur was making pasta on the stove.

“I’m taking a nap, wake me up at three.” I told her.

“You just woke up?” Fleur replied confused.

“I didn’t sleep well.” I murmured as I plopped onto the couch and fell asleep. I could sleep peacefully in the day with my sister near. I felt safe.

I felt a hand on my spine and it gave me shivers. No it wasn’t a hand… it was something long and black and slimy that seemed to twist and turn in all directions. I could see my breath, but nothing else as I was frozen. I couldn’t move. All I could think of was to run, but my feet would not move. The black serpent like things wrapped around me slowly; taunting me. I was shaking and my breath was caught in my throat as I tried to scream. These things reminded me of tentacles and one slid up my body and slowly around my throat. I extended my neck to try to writhe free of it, but it was pointless. Hot tears streaming down my face were the only thing that kept me warm in these freezing conditions of wherever I was. Another one of the things made its way from behind me, across my face, and all to quickly plunged down my throat sending me into a gagging, choking, mess. The one around my neck pulled back choking me even more and the ones around my body yanked me to the ground and began slowly breaking my bones one my one. Snap, snap, snap, I heard them cracking. I felt more pain than I ever had in my whole life as it burned like fire in my veins and plunged through my skin breaking to the surface. I couldn’t squirm or scream. I could only wish for my death to hurry up and take me. I couldn’t take this torture. My eyes began to flicker. I was going into shock as my body tried to break free, but I couldn’t move from the tentacles that had its reins on me or because my limbs were broken and useless.

It felt like someone was cutting me back and forth with the dullest knife covered in salt over and over again all over my body. This tormenting silence was killing me. I had no control, I didn’t have anything. My eyes rolled back completely now and I was no more.

“Cece!” Fleur was screaming at the top of her lungs. My eyes flung open and I saw her with worry on her youthful face.

“W-what?” I asked exhausted and relieved.

“You were breaking into a hot sweat and screaming!” She said in shock as she pulled away the wet wash cloth I hadn’t even noticed was sitting on my head.

“I had a bad dream and I think I’m getting a little sick.” I told her. It wasn’t a lie. It just wasn’t the whole truth.

“Well…it’s almost three.” She told me glancing to the clock on the stove.  I nodded and got up off the ugly green couch and headed through the kitchen into my bedroom. So much for catching up on sleep. I threw off my clothes and hopped in the shower washing my hair thoroughly with the shower curtain open. I had an irrational fear of bathrooms, and now my fear was heightened to the extremity. I kept thinking that the divider between my toilet and my shower was hiding some type of horrible creature or some evil demon would crawl out of the toilet or the shower drain or from the sink cabinet. I thought those thoughts all the time, but now I just expected Slenderman to come up from behind the wall silently and terrifyingly.

I got out of the shower faster than usual, put on my Halloween costume. I’d put on the wig later. The party didn’t start until six and my hair was still wet. I brushed my teeth and my hair and all that good stuff and by then it was four thirty already. I went downstairs and viewed my eradicated basement filled with Halloween decorations. The walls were covered in scene setters such as bloody hospitals, bare forests, and other decorations that lit up. Fake corpses were hanging or lying around. Black table clothes were on the tables. The lights were all replaced with party lights like blue, purple, and reds. Bloody and worn curtains hung from the window and zombie apocalypse caution tape were strung on the doors.