Chapter Fourteen

Chapter fourteen

I spent the weekend with Hope. We did our usual waltz around her subdivision and eat fast food ordeal. I was sitting in the car on Sunday now riding back from her house. I always felt dirty and tired when I left her house, because her mom was a smoker and they had poor ventilation in their house. We drove down her street passed a dumpster. Something scrawled in black paint caught my eye. I whipped my head around and saw a sloppy operator symbol on the side of the green metal. I rolled my eyes only to find another irrelevant piece of art on the stop sign at the end of the street. There shown on the back of the sign was a large drawn eye probably drawn by the same guy since it was the same black sloppy spray painting. The pupil of the eye was an Operator symbol and scrawled above it was ‘he’s always watching’. My stomach churned at those words for a chilling second and then I blew a raspberry.

“Have you seen all this stupid Slenderman stuff around town?” I asked my sister sitting next to me.

“Yeah, it’s in all the towns around here. We were driving through Pinesly the other day and one of those circles with the X through it was on a mailbox, manhole, and on some house’s window. Darn teenagers.” My sister joked. I laughed a little. We drove home and I chilled on the computer the rest of the day. Tumblr was full of Slenderman stuff. This was taking over.  It just seemed so obscure that Micah and his little stolen game could make such a scandal. So other people knew about this Slender before it was cool, hipsters, but that doesn’t matter. My friend made it huge. I thought that was cool even though this whole thing annoyed the shit out of me… and freaked me out a little.

Monday Lucas was finally at school. He was paler than his usual deathly pale self. “You okay?” I asked him.

“I’m still a little sick, but nothing contagious.” He said as he rubbed his nose with his navy blue hoodie sleeve from behind me in the bleachers. I nodded.

“You probably just played video games the whole time you were out.” I said with a knowing smile and an amused glare in my eyes. His eyes darted across the room as if thinking and then back to me. He smiled at me.

“Yup.” He replied with his signature toothy grin.

“I just chilled at Hope’s house for the most part.” I told him vaguely since this was a usual occurrence. He gave me a thumbs up not really caring and I turned around to Talia who was texting in school. She always did that.

Second period I was watching some dumb funny video Micah was showing me. We kind of kept to ourselves in yearbook. Micah and I sat next to each other at a table by ourselves in the media center. I used to sit by my friend Hunter in there, but she got on my nerves. I could only have so much Hunter time before I wanted to kill myself. I only sat by Hunter on days we were in the classroom which wasn’t often.

I took Hunter with me on interviews too, because Micah was a total procrastinator and never wanted to get up and get pictures or interviews. “Lucas is back in school.” I told him.

“And I care why?” He asked with a smile.

“Because he’s awesome that’s why!” I replied with a huge smile on my face and overly exaggerated happiness. He laughed and shook his head.

“You are probably the weirdest friend I have, but that’s what makes us the best of friends.” He said with a smile.

“Awe!” I said with a toothy smile. That meant a lot actually even if it was simple conversation. Micah wasn’t really the…err…complimenting type. He usually just called you a bunch of insults as jokes and never really throws out any compliments. “Everyone is tumbling about Slender you know.” I told him showing him my dash.