Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

“Well…open them.” I said now fully committing to the fact I believed in this thing. The past several weeks at night I had found myself just randomly researching Slenderman topics and watching a Marble Hornets video every once in awhile. The curiosity of this wildly growing topic was gnawing at my brain. I was supposed to be the one who was ‘too cool’ for getting into the latest Slenderman trend, but I couldn’t. It was to insanely fascinating. I felt like the Slenderman fad was a bee sitting on my hand. You try to ignore it, but you’re mind screams to act on the fact that it’s there.

Micah gave me surprised look for my statement agreeing of Slenderman’s existence. I was feeling the same way. I acted as if it was no big deal though with a push for him to open them.  He pulled up Lucas’ file folder.

“I went through all the cases. You know who else were featured in this folder;  the three missing students. Now look he writes in this file that there was the striking resemblance to the other cases and the myth of Slenderman. These cases date back to about two thousand eight. That’s when Slenderman was brought to the surface on Something Awful forums. Now that is where many people, nonbelievers, believe he was created. But that’s not true; stories of the Slenderman date back way before then from all over the world going under many different names. I’m not going to go into detail, but that’s just where Slenderman got his name; the Slenderman. Before then they didn’t know of anything to classify it. Honestly, I have no idea where they learned of it anyways unless they had a geeky son of one of the cops. When Slenderman was first brought to the surface he was put into a photo editing horror contest and then got popular while other websites began to feast on the creepy photos. Websites like Four Chan, Reddit, and Deviant Art were first to get their hands on it. Later it got bigger and more produced, and now it’s a well known fad.” Micah explained to me in great detail.

“Tell us something we don’t know.” Eric groaned resting his head in his palms.

“Sorry, I had to explain this to the noob.” He protested.

“So, what does his file say…” I trailed off but keeping a focused glare. He scrolled down and allowed me to read it for myself. It read:

Lucas Matthew Spruell

Case: 39

Missing for a total of 61 hours, found with memory loss, cuts and scrapes, near wooded area, signs of strong paranoia and anxiety. Slenderman related notes found in the household along with multiple Operator Symbols scattered through the room. Search team discovered one shoe belonging to the victim in the woods near the highway. It tested with traces of high Sigma radiation.

Update:  Evidence came up missing eight hours ago.

My mouth gaped. “So these people believe in this thing?” I asked in disbelief. They were professionals they were suppose to deny supernatural existence!

“I guess it’s just what they can… explain in a way? If that makes sense.” Declan summed up. I nodded showing I got it, but this whole thing was too…far out. Not acceptable. No. No, no, no, no, no!

“Maybe, the cops have an inside source. You ever think the government knows about its existence? Come on , they got to know man.” Eric said as he laid back on Micah’s bed tossing up a bouncy ball.

“That, that’s good, Eric. A high testimony. That’s going in the book.” Micah said with a point of his finger and took a key out from his wallet that was inside his pocket, and unlocked a cabinet under his desk. Inside there was two paper bags, and a notebook. Micah threw open the notebook scribbled something in there and closed it back again keeping it on his lap.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“The book!” They all shouted in sync as if I was supposed to know.

“It’s not even a book. It’s a yellow seventeen cent notebook. What’s in it?” I asked already knowing the answer. Slendy notes.

“Everything Slender and Slender related.”  Eric bragged like he was preaching.

“What’s in the paper bag?” I asked curiously. Micah opened his mouth and then closed it as everyone exchanged ‘what the fuck’ looks with him.

“You aren’t authorized for that kind of information.”  Micah told me smiling with a huge grin. His friends relaxed. I crinkled my eyebrows together confusedly.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because, you’re not part of our group.” He replied.

“Oh okay. Yeah, like this is some super cool club.” I sarcastically said a little annoyed.

“It is.” Declan said smiling a nice smile. He was always so friendly. I rolled my eyes with a smile.

“Okay.” I sarcastically replied.

“Want to join?” Micah asked.

“I’m good.” I replied.

“Suit yourself.” He said with a half smile and he brushed back his moderately long hair uncaringly.

“So we’re not having a real meeting since Cece isn’t part of the group?”  Eric asked.

“No.” Micah replied.

“Black Ops?” Eric asked with a big smile. Micah jumped over the bed and grabbed a controller. I sat in the office chair watching bored and tired. My eyes kept glancing to the notebook. Should I look at it right here in front of them? They were all facing the television and I was behind them. None of them had talked to me since they started playing. I pulled it onto my lap and opened it under the desk and opened up the front cover as the cardboard brushed against the desk. The sound of artificial gun firing sounds overpowered it though. The first note was written in Micah’s slanty handwriting and was just a run down on the basics of Slenderman. It was what they knew about him already without obsessing over him.

I flipped through the scraggly pages of notes and random drawings and opened to a page to read. It was titled Slender sickness.

Slender Sickness:  Common cold like symptoms, cough, and nose bleeds later advancing into coughing fits, fevers, vomiting, and then growing into more severe symptoms such as coughing and vomiting blood, and convulsing violently.

My mind writhed around at the thought of Lucas getting that nosebleed in class and getting sick right after. “Nope!” Micah exclaimed as he leapt over and took the notebook out of my hands. He glanced down and looked at the page I was on and up at my petrified face. His expression went from amused to stone in a second. He closed the notebook and put it into the cabinet locking it once more.

The boys were all loading into the car to be taken home and I followed close behind. Micah was talking to Declan outside by the tree about something stupid, because they were laughing and Micah had on that dirty grimace. I walked over and pulled Micah away.

“How long?” I asked gritting my teeth in anger and fear.

“Cece, he got away once and if you get away from Slender the first time, he’s not going to be real happy when he comes back.” He muttered through his teeth and walked past me into the black Jeep.