Chapter One

Chapter One

Summer had been insane. I can't even begin to explain it. I spent a lot of my time with my friends and doing things my mother will never know. My vacation had been perfect. I went to California where I took advantage of my youth. We stayed at a five star resort right on the coast, and the best part was: no one knew me. Opportunities were everywhere for me there.

There was a boy across the hall from us at the resort. His name was Devin and he was the hottest guy I had seen all summer, we drove out to the red wood pine forest with some of his friends one night. I still couldn't fathom how large the trees had been. It took about an hour to get there, but it was worth it. My parents were out going to the bars while my sister was asleep, and I was... well... there in the forest with a boy I had only known for two days. It was idiotic, but I felt alive. It was nostalgic thinking back to this night that was only a mere two months ago. It had been pitch black that night, and I had been comforted by Devin who had his arm around me all night. I was wearing his hoodie, because as cheesy as it sounded, it was kind of cute. The boys, Ryan and Josten, kept trying to scare everyone all night. It was getting old and kept making me regret the trip out. It seemed like a scene from a cliché, terrible, scary movie honestly. I was the dumb girl with the boy in the woods, and they were the irresponsible teenagers were found dead at the end of the first scene.

I kissed Devin a few times that night, but it was just a summer thing. I never really imagined having something like that, because I usually go to really isolated places for vacation since my family is pretty country, but I was the exact opposite of them. I loved cities, and lights, and art. At last I was granted a vacation I immensely enjoyed. I had outgrown the long camping trips, the cabins in Tennessee, and the large fields years ago. California was the best vacation I ever had. I thought about Devin and his tall, tan, Californian style. I remember finishing things up the day before I left in late June. I spent a lot of time up there in Cali, I only had a few weeks to spend with my best friends when I got home.

I threw my legs out of my bed after that long drawn out recap of my summer. August sixteenth already, I couldn't believe it. I combed my bangs back knowing I needed a shower, and threw off my shirt while rummaging through drawers collecting my undergarments and then through my closet. I washed up quickly and blow dried my hair to perfection, but not fully acceptable for my liking today so I gave it some waves too.

As soon as I thought I looked hot enough in my ripped skinny jeans, studded high tops, and skull dress tank, I clambered out of my room with my bulky shoes creating echoes. I picked up my Iphone that I had left in there from last night and had a new text from Devin. It was just him saying I should go to Cali again sometime. I got those texts quite often, and I ignore a lot of his texts. It was fun while it lasted, he was very hot, but I wasn't going to see him again probably.

I threw my phone into my back pocket and walked outside where my sister was perched on the tire swing of our large yard. We lived way out of town. We had a mile long gravel drive way, ten acres of land with four wheeling trails spread throughout them, and a large grassy field. We had a nice house. It was big, we had fun things like a pool and a trampoline, but I still despise it. I want to be where the people are.

"Cece! Want to play volleyball?" My sister Fleur called from the top of the tire swing in the distance.

"Nah, homie." I replied, bored of her constantly asking.

"Why?" She whined. I rolled my eyes.

"Because I hate sports. You know this." I truthfully told her. Sports have never been my forte. I had absolutely zero athletic ability. I was one of the kids who kept themselves inside all day doing creative things, or sitting on their laptops, but today was different. It was the last day of summer I had so I wanted to spend it outside somewhat. I knew the leaves would be changing soon and there would not be pretty days like this for much longer. I strolled down the driveway until I reached the first four wheeling path that led through the creek. I turned onto it. I tied my golden blonde hair back in a pony tail, which didn't happen often, and trudged onto the dusty gravel trail.

I observed all the things that would be changing soon intently. The honey suckle blossoms and the way the smelt like heaven to me, the lime green leaves on the tree tops, the luscious green grass, and the black eyed susan's bordering the patches of sunlight released onto the shady trail; they would all shrivel away soon. The path stretched along the zigzagging dried up creek from the hot summer days. I followed it up through the steep hill that eventually led to my backyard after several minutes of trudging through heat. This was too much exercise for me. I wasn't used to this. One day my metabolism is going to slow down and I will lose my tiny physique, but that's why I should take advantage of being lazy while I still can.

The rustling of bushes and twigs snapped me back into reality. Animals were always rustling about through here since no one lived nearby, except this time I didn't see any animals scurry up a tree, and this time I didn't see any birds flying from tree to tree. In fact I didn't see birds at all. My gaze moved from tree to tree. Nothing. I listened closely. I couldn't hear a single chirp from anywhere. In the sky I saw nothing circling above. The eerie feeling that something was not right pushed me to quickly get back home.

line-height: 24px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">As soon as I thought I looked hot enough in my ripped skinny jeans, studded high tops, and skull dress tank, I clambered out of my room with my bulky shoes creating echoes. I picked up my Iphone that I had left in there from last night and had a new text from Devin. It was just him saying I should go to Cali again sometime. I got those texts quite often, and I ignore a lot of his texts. It was fun while it lasted, but I wasn't going to see him again probably.

I threw my phone into my back pocket and walked outside where my sister was perched on the tire swing of our large yard. We lived way out of town. We had a mile long gravel drive way, ten acres of land with four wheeling trails spread throughout them, and a large grassy field. We had a nice house. It was big, we had fun things like a pool and a trampoline, but I still despise it. I want to be where the people are.

"Cece! Want to play volleyball?" My sisteJ