27- Paisley

It's been two days since Tez's win in London and today is his day off from training, so he's taking me out on a date. He won't tell me where we're going or what we'll be doing, but he's been up with the birds this morning planning and prepping while I tried desperately to hold onto a few more minutes of precious sleep.

He even helped me pick out my outfit of a wraparound floral dress, sandals, and a straw sunhat, which I refuse to wear. It's in the back of my wardrobe for a reason and not because I like it. And as an added touch, he presents me with - a blindfold.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going yet?"

I feel his hand brush my bare knee giving it a gentle squeeze. "Will it make a difference if you know?"

I think about his question for a moment then conclude that he's put a lot of effort into this outing and to know now will spoil it. "Okay, tell me how much farther?"

"One thing I'm learning about you, Paisley Dean is that you have zero patience."

"And something I'm learning about myself is that I can't cope without my sight."

His infectious laughter fills his MG ZS and I laugh too. I become all too aware of my surroundings when the car slows down. We take a right, then an immediate left, and the sound under the tires changes from smooth tarmac to crunchy gravel. I can hear seagulls and smell the sea air. "Are we at the beach?"

His breath, with traces of mint, hits the side of my neck, leaving me with a passionate longing sparking along my skin. "Stay here. Do not move, I promise I won't take long."

I have no idea how long I wait for, but without my sight, the minutes seem to drag by. I can hear the rustling of Tez's movements as he comes and goes from the car, fetching and carrying. Every now and again he'll stop and ask me if I'm okay then he'll be on his way again.

When he returns to the car for the sixth and final time, my patience erodes. "Tez, what the heck is going on? I've been sat here for ages."

My door opens and his hands take mine, carefully helping me from the car. "I'm sorry. I just want this to be perfect for you."

I smile, an idea breaching my thoughts. "Why, you're not going to propose are you?"

"No!" He scoffs. "I love you, Paisley, but it's far too soon for that. Your dad is already making me grovel hard for his approval, I think getting engaged would tip him over the edge."

I try to pretend I'm not hurt by his immediate shutdown. "It has nothing to do with him," I snap a little too harshly. "I don't need his permission and neither do you."

"Just keep walking," he says ignoring my statement as he helps maneuver me to wherever it is he's taking me with one hand on my arm, the other against my lower back.

Underfoot, I feel the hard stones give way to something soft and comfortable, the tiny particles of which spill into my sandals and seep between my toes. Sand. We're definitely at the beach. After several more footsteps and instruction to meander a set of steps, he brings me to a stop and the blindfold loosens then falls away effortlessly. I blink, stunned by the sudden brightness, my eyes stinging. Then I blink again in rapid succession and finally take in the picturesque and deserted spot on the beach.

"Coker Beach," he says. "Unspoiled by tourists and a chance for you and me to enjoy a few hours completely alone and away from Stallone's and Castleford."

I'm lost for words as I take in the scene around us. Large woven scatter rugs in shades of turquoise and greys are placed behind a section of rocks, with four extra-large cushions to match. A picnic hamper sits on the ground, with an ice bucket and a bottle of fizz and two glasses on top. The crashing of the waves is the only sound I can hear as I close my eyes and enjoy the warmth of the sun as beats down on my face.