6- Tez

Seeing Paisley again has thrown me. It's so unexpected that I can't find the right words to say to her, but I'm certain my actions are showing her that I'm nothing more than a self-appreciating douchebag.

The effects of the vodka have well and truly worn off. Standing before her after five long years is enough to make anyone sober up. She's in front of me with glossy hair, that perfect pout, and her stunning features. She reminds me more of a doll than a grown woman. But one glance at the slope of her breasts through her shirt and the curve of her hips cocooned in skintight jeans lets me know she's all grown up.

I've pulled her close to my chest, my hand is cinched around her wrist and I'm staring down into those vibrant eyes that lure me in and make the thought of looking away from her too painful.

Her chest moves with mine; our warm breaths mingle together and I'm so close to her that if I lean in just a fraction more, my lips will be on hers and I'll be able to taste her all over again. But as I'm contemplating this, we're interrupted by Violet and Paisley jumps away from me like my touch is acidic to her pure soul.

Now I'm having to choose between my head and heart. Do I leave with Violet, give myself time to sort my shit out and start fresh with Paisley tomorrow, after all, she's here for the weekend? Or do I stay and continue to bumble my way in and out of conversations and risk Paisley thinking even less of me than she already does?

I decide to leave with Violet. Calling her sweetheart though is a step too far in front of Paisley, and it makes me cringe. As we pull away from Stallone's, I chance a glance backward to see Paisley once more, but she's nowhere to be seen. The fire she stoked in me burns out leaving embers of unease to settle in its place.

We only drive five minutes down the road when I start shouting at Violet to pull over. I can't walk away from Paisley quite yet; I want her to talk to me. I want to hear what she's been doing. How has she been keeping? How are her family? And more importantly, does she have a boyfriend? These are things I should've asked her already, instead I acted like a cock trying to prove that MMA is a man's world.

"What's wrong with you?" Violet yells slamming on the brakes at the side of the road.

"I've left my gym bag behind. I'm gonna go back and get it. I'll get Jace to drop me home." It isn't a lie, but it's not the whole truth either.

I've already unbuckled my belt and opened the door when Violet leans over and grasps my arm. "I'll wait for you, it's no problem."

"No, you carry on and do your thing, I don't want to hold you up."

I climb out of the vehicle and inhale deeply, clearing the last of the mist from my brain.

"It's no problem, Tez. I'll wait."

My jaw locks with irritation. This is one thing I resent about violet; she never knows when to quit. She'll argue black is white all day long if she has a willing participant.

"Go home, Violet!"

My voice is stern and raised. She's so pissed her face is as red as a cherry, and she's glaring at me like I've just killed her cat or something. "It's her isn't it, that woman back at the gym?"

I slam the door on Violet without a response and march back in the direction we just came from. Each stomp of my feet is a word on my lips which will form a sincere and heartfelt apology to Paisley when I reach her.

But it's a mistake.

I shouldn't have come back.

When I reach Stallone's I immediately see Paisley standing next to Doris. Her back is turned to me, but it isn't until I get closer I hear her talking and realize she's on a call. I'm about to retreat, not wanting to invade her personal conversation, when the sound of my name and the vicious way in which she says it, stops me dead and leaves me cold.