Chapter 20: Seven Attempts, Eight Losses

3rd POV

Another boring day for her.

"I-I don't want to d-!"

Whipping her hand to the side, she was able to get rid of most of the blood with ease, but some were still stuck to her hand, along with pieces of the person's organs. All of these people weren't any fun. She'd be told to fight against them again and again, but they all would just break less than a minute into it, it was annoying how weak they are. 

"Another win for number-"

"Kirin." she interrupted the announcer, making them fall silent for a moment. 

"...What?"

"My name, it's Kirin."

"...Another win for Kirin!"

They didn't seem to make too much of her statement, not even bothering to think of who gave her name, after all, it made it easier than just calling her a number. It didn't take long to get her back to her cell as they didn't usually need to restain her, she'd learned a long time ago that resisting just meant more pain.

"Kirin? You're back!"

Tap Bang Bang, Tap, Tap Bang Tap Tap, Bang Tap Bang Tap, Bang Bang Bang, Bang Bang, Tap. Bang Tap Tap Tap, Tap Bang, Bang Tap Bang Tap, Bang Tap Bang. 

"Of course! There's no way I'd lose to any of those weaklings," she boasted. Looking around, she noticed that Kuro looked a little sad about that statement, but as it approached a year of her being in here, she was getting used to the fact that they had to kill to survive. But the mere fact that she was getting used to it scared her. 

Meanwhile, Yn was sitting in his cell beside Kuro's, tinkering with the scarps of electronics and I.S' that was basically thrown in there for storage and rewards for him. If he couldn't fight than they'd lose a lot of customers, so giving him resources became a chore. 

Tap Tap, Bang Tap, Tap Bang Bang Bang, Tap Tap Bang, Tap Bang Tap, Tap, Bang Tap Tap.

"No, they never even came close. The first few tried for a full frontal assault, and got cut up as a result. There were a few others that tried strategizing, but many were just wimps that couldn't bear to spill blood."

It was surprising to both of them at first, considering Kirin's specific circumstance. Despite having lived within these cells and underground for so long, she was surprisingly smart. She learned new words everyday, and even learned morse code within the first few minutes of it being taught to her.

With such a sharp mind being combined with the combat prowess she displays in a fight, it was almost questionable how she hadn't escaped that hell yet. 

"So, what were you two talking about before I arrived?"

"Yn was telling me how when he was younger, a friend of his fell sick the day of a race for his school, a relay race actually. But despite losing his partner in the race, and having done a race right before it as well, they allowed Yn to run the large distance alone, and he still somehow won!"

"Oh?! What's a relay race?!"

Kirin might have enjoyed fighting a bit.

...

Okay, she might be a battle maniac, but she enjoyed hearing of the outside world, the world she had never visited even once, which is why she loved hearing all these stories from the two of them. They even made promises to one day show her everything that they've spoken about, though it could be said that it was also to give themselves hope. Hope that one day, some time in the future where they all live, they can leave this hell and be free once again.