Chapter 16: New Students

Kuro's POV

"Kaede...help me. Please, someone...anyone...help me..."

Why? Why did this have to happen? Why was I brought here? What did I do to deserve this?

Every day they came, these strangers who mocked me and beat me without remorse would drag me out to some kind of arena. Every day, they'd do it until I couldn't move, then force me to fight someone.

Fight them to death.

If I don't kill them, they'll kill me. And if both of us don't kill each other, our only chance of survival is having entertained the crowd enough.

Tap Tap, Bang. Tap Bang Bang, Tap Tap, Tap Bang Tap Tap, Tap Bang Tap Tap. Bang Tap Tap Tap, Tap. Bang Bang Bang, Bang Tap Bang, Tap Bang, Bang Tap Bang Bang.

Down here, in this miserable place, I did find something to help keep my sanity. Or rather, I found people that would. Two people to be specific.

The one I named Kirin was gone out to fight right now, which just left me and the boy. His name was Yn, yet I didn't know his last name, he told me that he doesn't have a family anymore, and so no last name.

I didn't question it that much, we all had our own reasons for being in here, though it appears as though he has had it far worse.

Bang, Tap, Tap Bang Tap Tap, Tap Bang Tap Tap. Bang Bang, Tap. Bang Bang Bang, Tap Tap Bang Tap. Bang, Tap Tap Tap Tap, Tap. Bang Bang Bang, Tap Tap Bang, Bang, Tap Tap Tap, Tap Tap, Bang Tap Tap, Tap. Tap Bang Bang, Bang Bang Bang, Tap Bang Tap, Tap Bang Tap Tap, Bang Tap Tap.

This was merely one example of how much worse his situation was compared to mine. He is unable to speak, and so he is forced to use a slightly modified version of morse code. Apparently, his vocal cords were cut out and left at a certain location for his attempted rescuers to find. It was to act as a warning.

Then there was Kirin. While I've been here for nearly two years, which has felt like an eternity, Yn has been here for even longer. Yet Kirin, the girl whose cell is across from mine, has been here as long as she can remember, she grew up in these cells.

She had no name until I named her, which she was overly happy to receive. She seemed to always be happy and enjoyed fighting to the extent that I couldn't understand, and the one she dreamed about fighting the most, was Yn.

From what I've been told by the two of them, it was the first fight that she has ever lost. She was ready to accept death, but he had refused to kill her. This brought up a bit of an uproar with the crowd, some even trying to kill her themselves. Something about them hating her for always making them lose their bets.

But the second they stepped into the arena, they were free game. This meant they had to go against the one that they had nicknamed the Silent Ghost to get to Kirin.

None passed.

Many watching were already entertained enough by the fight, and this just made it even more so. There was even a prize to whoever could kill the two of them, but any that tried had their head rolling on the ground the second they got close enough.

Yn won, and many just wanted to keep the two of them alive for future entertainment, which is why eventually that prize and the chance to kill them was called off.

It was only after this incident that Kirin really started to warm up to Yn, and eventually, me. We all got along, for we all had similar things in common. We were stuck here, we were forced to fight, the two of us were...defiled, and we both hated it when they dragged Yn off.