Chapter 51

"You ready Luce?" Alfie asks me from the passenger seat.
I nod, gulp, my eyes darting around the empty playground.
Zoe squeezes my hand and helps me out of the car. The school appears to be empty, deserted. We deliberately came twenty minutes late to avoid unwanted attention from pupils. It's a struggle having celebrities as adoptive parents.
He checks his watch and nods towards Zoe.
I climb the stairs and push open the heavy doors leading into School reception. My fingers anxiously pat down my pressed and pleated school skirt, glancing behind to check that Zalfie still have my back.
"Hello, to whom am I speaking with?" An old lady with a head of grey hairs peers over her spectacles at me.
"Lucy. Lucy Smithson." I mumble.
The receptionist smiles reassuringly, I feel Zoe's delicate fingers rest upon my shoulder.
The lady checks her computer and nods, "Yes, you're starting here today. You're current period is in your form room. Um... E8 I believe."
I am handed a crumpled paper map, my room is pointed out to me and verbal directions are given, still. I have very little idea of where I should be going. I bite my lip, bidding farewell to Zalfie. Watching every step they make as they walk away from the school. I have to gulp so as to not start crying right there.
The receptionist gestures down the hallway.
I try to follow the directions given, I find myself on the third floor, almost accidentally walking in on a religious education lesson.
I stumble through lockers, past water fountains, the gym, classrooms.
I wander aimlessly, tears brimming in my eyes. Suddenly I find myself knocking into some random girl, sending both of us crashing to the floor.
"Oh my god! I'm so sorry!"
I quickly apologise and jump to my feet.
She apologises, we stand awkwardly. Silence.
"Um... Where you going." She smiles, softly pulling my map from my hand. I stare at my black school shoes.
"E8."
She laughs and points at the other side of the school.
"I'll take you there." She hands my map back to me and starts walking down the corridor. I have to run to catch up, afraid of being left alone again.
"So you're new here?"
I nod.
"What's your name then new girl?" She laughs.
"Lucy."
"You talk much?" She
e smiles.
"Is there much to say?" I raise an eyebrow.
"Fair enough then new girl."
"It's Lucy."
"Alright, well I'm saffie."
She laughs at me.

She leads me to the classroom.
"Thanks, I can take it from here."
I tap on the door.
"Um. Sorry, I'm new here. I'm supposed to be joining this form. "
The lady leading the class nods. "Lucy Smithson , yes?"
I smile and nod my head.
"Ok well go sit next to Sarah." She points to the seat next to a girl with long dark hair, tanned skin, piercing green eyes.
The teacher hands me a timetable as I join the seat, dropping my oversized bag to the floor.