Chapter 16

"Um, excuse me?" I hover at the doorway; about twelve bored faces; suddenly alerted, look at me.

The grey haired teacher stares at me with utter disgust, "And you are?"

"I'm Lucy Smithson , I was told that I would be joining your class? I'm new." I say, trying to seem confident and cool.

"Oh, ok. Well, sit down. Perhaps you can explain why you're late on your first day?"

"I got lost."

She sighs, "At least you showed up, most of them don't." She mutters softly, turning back to her laptop.

I stare around at the empty seats, and at the faces of the few people sitting at the little tables. Most of them texting, playing with hair or passing notes.

The bell rings to symbolise first lesson. I stare at my map, confused and bewildered.

"Hey baby." A much older boy grabs me by the wrist and pulls me close to him. A group of his mates surround me. I recognise one of them to be an orphan kid. He joins in their laughter and joking, but is the only one to look me in the eye. The one holding me turns slightly to say something. I take the opportunity. Dropping to the floor and making a run for it. Shouting, anger.

I run and run and run. Stopping to catch my breath when I feel that I am out of the way. A girl in high heels offers me a drag of her ciggie. I politely decline, then make my way as far as way as possible from her.

I am completely lost, unaware as to what my next lesson is. I end up spending the day curled up behind a bike shed; where I think that no one will see me. I doodle in my notebook; drawing pictures of all my dreams; my family, Skye, meeting youtubers, pleasant school life. Lame, I know. Seriously though, it's not like me to bunk. I spend the whole day just me, my notebook and the couple in the bushes who don't realise that I am even there.

Sienna runs up to me on the walk home.

"So? How was it?" She asks.

I consider lying, like I had to Ms.Abbot, but end up blurting out the truth.

I suppose if I had to trust anyone here it would be Sienna.