Chapter 46

The next couple weeks are filled with paperwork, packing and Zalfie visits.
My belongings are in boxes stacked in each of the corners of my tiny room, most of my clothing in plastic bags.
"Tomorrow." Zoe smiles, standing at my bedroom doorway.
She comes and kneels on the floor beside me.
"I can't wait." I giggle, moving into her hug.
I sit on the floor, staring at the room.
It's not my favourite place, but it was my place. The place I went when I need to escape. I've definitely had some not so nice memories of this room, but... You know, there have been a few lovely ones. All those days with Sienna.
Zoe sits with me, playing with my hair, twisting strands into a fishtail braid.
"I'm rubbish at those." I say, turning my head to examine the plait.
"You got accepted into Woodgrove Secondary. " she mumbles.
"I can't wait to be back at school."
She laughs lightly.
I say goodbye to a few of the little kids, their snotty noses wiped all over my skater skirt.
I nod goodbye to the boy who helped me at school, thanking him for stopping his friend. He shrugs, shakes my hand and says goodbye.
I look for his friend; the son of my kidnapper. He is staying at the agency for a while; having no parents to care for him.
"Um, I'm leaving first thing tomorrow. Just wanted to thank you again, for saving my life."
He slowly turns to look at me, "No, I owed it to you, I was an idiot
He pulls me in for an awkward hug, "Goodbye....."
"Lucy." I finish.
He nods and I leave.

Ms Abbot finds me.
"I don't know if I'll have time to say goodbye." I start, she sits opposite me.
"Thank You so much Ms Abbot, for everything you've done for me." I say tearfully. I didn't expect it to be this difficult to say goodbye to her.
"I'm sorry for not stopping him from taking you. I... I tried I really did."
"That's all in the past now."
"I'm so happy for you Lucy. You're such a good girl, I wish you the best of luck in everything my dear." She mumbles, I hear the Welsh tang in her voice, just as I had the first day I met her.
We hug and say goodbye.
I fall straight asleep for the last time in that bed; eagerly awaiting tomorrow.