Chapter 21

Chapter 21
The beginning of the end

●●●

Final Chapter

●●●

"Stefano Marseille is the only son of Gianluca Cravelli - who is part of an illegal drug syndicate from Italy. We have investigated and Stefano was the one who continued his father's legacy, using ghost names. Stefano's real name is Sebastien Cravelli. Luca, before dying, asked his son to continue the business and to avenge him. That's why he came after my daughter, Meghan - because he knows I'm Meg's father and I was the one who put Gianluca behind the bars..."

Kaiden and Maxim Kortajarena were outside the hospital room where Meghan Leigh was currently confined. Meg's mother, Andra, was already inside, tending her daughter.

"I'm sorry..." Kade started as he looked down, remorseful, "I couldn't save your grandchild..."

Maxim sighed and tapped his shoulder, "Lieutenant, it's also your child. You have the reason to grieve. I will be forever grateful to you, for always protecting my daughter and for always sacrificing your life just for her safety."

Maxim then gave him a tight smile, "I'm just glad this is over. No more Gianluca nor Stefano. You're a family now, hijo. Thank you for protecting... and loving my Meghan Leigh."

Bigla namang bumukas ang pinto at lumabas si Andra. Meghan's mother then looked at Kaiden. She nodded at him.

"She wants to see you," The old woman told him. Kaiden took a deep breath and entered the room.

Napatigil naman siya nang makita si Meghan na nakaupo na sa hospital bed. May nakatusok na ring dextrose sa kanang kamay nito. Yesterday was her operation after she got shot.

"Kaiden..." Naiiyak na tinawag naman nito ang pangalan niya. Kaiden forced a smile also as he immediately went to her and hugged her. Napaiyak na lang ito sa mga bisig niya.

"I'm so sorry," Meghan sobbed as Kade freed themselves from the hug. He cupped her face and wiped her tears with his thumbs, "We lost our child..."

"No, it's not your fault," He assured her, kissing her forehead, "It's never going to be your fault, Meg."

"I'm sorry if I didn't tell you before everything happened, I should've told you..."

"Whether you would have told me or not, it will never going to be your fault, Meghan..." Then he sighed, avoiding her gaze, "I should be the one saying sorry. I was too late, I didn't protect you enough. I promised myself to not let anyone hurt you but I failed. I failed you and our baby. Sorry..."

"Lieutenant," Meghan touched his face so he could look at her again. She laughed a little although she was still crying, "Nagsosorry na tayong dalawa sa isa't-isa..."

Kade smiled and held her hand, kissing the top of it, "I love you, Mayor. So much."

"May anak na sana tayo ngayon," She replied, trying to smile.

"I know but it's okay... Maybe it was fated to happen... and you're safe. Wherever our baby is right now, she or he's going to be okay too, our child is in heaven. I'm sure of that," Kaiden kissed her forehead once again.