Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Confidential

●●●

Meghan groaned when she felt pain around her body. Dahan-dahan naman niyang inimulat ang mga mata niya. She saw walls painted in white and the hospital smell also lingered. When she moved, napansin naman niya ang dextrose na nakakabit sa kanang kamay niya. She grumbled in pain again around her stomach. There were also patches around her face and she knew it was for covering the bruises.

She then looked on her side and noticed a man, with a muscular built, maybe from 6'1 to 6'4ft tall, standing. The man was obviously not a pure Filipino and looked more like a mestizo. He was wearing a black suit - looking like a bodyguard.

She squinted her eyes at him, confused, "S-Sino ka?"

Hindi naman ito sumagot at nakatitig lang sa kanya.

"Nasaan ako?" She asked again as she roamed her eyes around.

But instead of answering her, the man suddenly pushed the earpiece device found on his left ear and mumbled something.

"Sir, Ms. Meghan Kortajarena is awake," The man said and his tone was serious. Meg heard him saying copy and then became silent again.

"W-Where am I?" She asked for one more time but the damned guy still didn't answer, "Are you kidding me? Why wouldn't you answer me?"

The man then looked at her, straight in the eye, "Protocol."

But before she could even reply, bigla naman pumasok ang Mommy Andra niya. Her mom went to her immediately. Nag-aalalang dinaluhan naman siya nito.

"Anak," Her mother cried as she cautiously hugged her, "I thought we're going to lose you."

"M-Mom, what happened?"

Humiwalay naman ito mula sa kanya, "You were ambushed on your way home, anak. Pinagbabaril ang sinasakyan mong kotse. This is what I told your dad, politics is too dirty. It's too risky. Tignan mo ang nangyari sayo ngayon..."

Meghan suddenly remembered what happened to her last night. Papauwi na siya 'nun galing sa isang barangay event. Then it was so fast. Bigla na lang pina-ulanan ng mga bala ang sasakyan niya. Then she knew she got shot. Her stomach was bleeding, her car crashed into a tree. Blood was all around.

Then she vaguely recalled a man, carrying her out from her wrecked car.

"M-Ma, sinong nagligtas sa 'kin?"

"Lieutenant Velasco," Andra then looked back and nodded at the man whom she saw first the moment she woke up, "He's one of your father's PSGs. He saved your life anak."

"PSG?"

"Yes. Ang daddy mo, he assigned a PSG for your security."

"But Ma, I told him na hindi ko kailangan ng security," She reasoned out. Since she started joining the politics last year and her father winning the presidential election also, she requested her father na huwag siya bigyan ng bodyguard. For her, it was hassle to have someone tailing her every day. Especially when she wanted to be a hands-on mayor. Ayaw niyang isipin ng mga taong nasasakupan niya na hindi siya madaling lapitan. Having bodyguards around her would make her intimidating to them.