Chapter 9

Chapter 9
Lullaby

●●●

"Ayan na po pala si Ser, mukhang masarap ang tulog."

Meghan stopped from sipping her iced coffee when she saw Kaiden walking towards them. It was already past one in the afternoon - at lahat sila ng mga yaya niya ay nasa living room. She was reading some novel books, specifically Kiera Cass' the Selection series. Iyong mga yaya naman niya ay nanunuod ng TV. Paborito kasi panuorin ng dalawa ang Showtime.

Meghan then looked at Kaiden who was now wearing his usual bodyguard uniform - a black poloshirt, black slacks and black shoes. He also looked like he just got out from the shower as his hair was still wet.

Mukhang masarap nga ang tulog nito.

She couldn't help but to smile remembering how she sang him a song like a lullaby so he could sleep peacefully... and he did. It seemed effective.

"Sorry..." He said to them awkwardly, "I was... preoccupied."

Ngumiti naman si Meghan dito. But it was mischievous, "Really?"

Baghaya naman itong natigilan dahil sa reaksyon niya. Kaiden seemed not to know what to answer next. Meg shrugged.

"I'm going to the kitchen, kukuha lang ako ng bread," She said instead as she stood up. It was Saturday and she has no work at the city hall. She was also wearing a normal home clothes - a comfy rosegold silk tank top and some pajamas. Wala rin siyang lakad sa araw na iyon. She's just going to stay at home for the whole day.

Nang nasa kitchen na siya ay kinuha na niya ang bread and some nutella spread.

"Meghan."

She almost got startled when she heard a familiar voice.

"What happened?"

Nilingon naman niya ito at tinaasan ng kilay. She pretended as if she did nothing, "Good afternoon to you first, Lieutenant."

Napabuntong-hininga naman ito.

He seemed frustrated.

"Last night..." He started as if he was in disbelief, "I slept. After so many years, I slept... without those memories flashing back on my mind."

"That's good, you badly need it," Meg replied, sincere. She didn't expect also that her singing would be effective to put him to sleep normally. Iyong naiisip lang niya sa mga oras na iyon, maybe through her singing, she can calm him from his panic and anxiety attacks... and she somehow did. And she was relieved. And glad.

Kaiden took another deep breath and he smiled at her. She stiffened. For the first time, she saw him smiling - not just any cocky or masungit smile, it was genuine... and warm.

"I like your voice," He suddenly told her. Nakatitig lang din ito sa kanya.

"U-Uhm," She stuttered. Hindi niya alam kung bakit bigla na lang siya nakaramdam ng kaba, "It's weekend. I don't have work and wala rin akong lakad. You can take the weekend off. Hindi naman ako lalabas. Sa bahay lang naman ako."